LSI 9211-8i "Information unit iuCRC error detected"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Gomon

Dabbler
I am getting numerous errors after installing this card:

(da5:mps0:0:7:0): SCSI status: Check Condition
(da5:mps0:0:7:0): SCSI sense: ABORTED COMMAND asc:47,3 (Information unit iuCRC error detected)
(da5:mps0:0:7:0): Retrying command (per sense data)
(da1:mps0:0:3:0): READ(10). CDB: 28 00 08 e1 9c 90 00 01 00 00 length 131072 SMID 252 terminated ioc 804b scsi 0 state 0 xfer 0

I ran the below command and see that both the driver and the firmware are the same version.

sysctl -a | grep mps
dev.mps.0.%desc: Avago Technologies (LSI) SAS2008
dev.mps.0.%driver: mps
dev.mps.0.%location: slot=0 function=0
dev.mps.0.%pnpinfo: vendor=0x1000 device=0x0072 subvendor=0x1000 subdevice=0x3050 class=0x010700
dev.mps.0.%parent: pci2
dev.mps.0.debug_level: 3
dev.mps.0.disable_msix: 0
dev.mps.0.disable_msi: 0
dev.mps.0.firmware_version: 20.00.00.00
dev.mps.0.driver_version: 20.00.00.00-fbsd
dev.mps.0.io_cmds_active: 0
dev.mps.0.io_cmds_highwater: 60
dev.mps.0.chain_free: 2048
dev.mps.0.chain_free_lowwater: 1988
dev.mps.0.max_chains: 2048
dev.mps.0.enable_ssu: 1
dev.mps.0.chain_alloc_fail: 0
dev.mps.0.spinup_wait_time: 3

Not sure if I should be concerned or not? But my understanding from reading previous forum posts is that the firmware and the driver need to be the same and one would not see these errors. Did I missing something else?

Thanks

Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Please post the output of "sas2flash -list -c 0".

Mike Gomon

Dabbler
sas2flash -list -c 0
LSI Corporation SAS2 Flash Utility
Version 16.00.00.00 (2013.03.01)
Copyright (c) 2008-2013 LSI Corporation. All rights reserved

Adapter Selected is a LSI SAS: SAS2008(B1)

Controller Number : 0
Controller : SAS2008(B1)
PCI Address : 00:02:00:00
SAS Address : 500605b-0-018d-2010
NVDATA Version (Default) : 14.00.00.09
NVDATA Version (Persistent) : 14.00.00.09
Firmware Product ID : 0x2713 (IR)
Firmware Version : 20.00.00.00
NVDATA Vendor : LSI
NVDATA Product ID : SAS9211-8i
BIOS Version : 07.05.01.00
UEFI BSD Version : N/A
FCODE Version : N/A
Board Name : SAS9211-8i
Board Assembly : H3-25250-01C
Board Tracer Number : P606734509

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You are not on the 20.00.04 firmware. I'd upgrade to the actual latest version. ;)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Mike Gomon

Dabbler
OK, but wait. I only see a Windows version available for that version of Firmware. Does that matter? The ROM file should not matter to the OS type and only the tool to flash it makes a difference but I just wanted to be sure before moving forward. Seems a bit miss leading.

upload_2016-3-29_17-8-32.png

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
OK, but wait. I only see a Windows version available for that version of Firmware. Does that matter? The ROM file should not matter to the OS type and only the tool to flash it makes a difference but I just wanted to be sure before moving forward.

View attachment 11112
Doesn't matter, that's just the package with the flasher tool. Just take the firmware image (and, optionally, your choice of BIOS or UEFI extension ROM) and use the UEFI flasher or the FreeBSD flasher (also included in FreeNAS).

Now that I'm looking at that, it looks kinda like that package is really just the flasher tool anyway, hence the P20.00.00.00 version. Interesting, they used to include the image with all versions of sas2flash.

Mike Gomon

Dabbler
Doesn't matter, that's just the package with the flasher tool. Just take the firmware image (and, optionally, your choice of BIOS or UEFI extension ROM) and use the UEFI flasher or the FreeBSD flasher (also included in FreeNAS).

Now that I'm looking at that, it looks kinda like that package is really just the flasher tool anyway, hence the P20.00.00.00 version. Interesting, they used to include the image with all versions of sas2flash.

I tried to flash using the built in utility under single user mode and encountered a problem after erasing the flash (-e 6), then attempted to flash the new firmware which failed half way through and had no choice but to reboot since there was a kernel crash. Now the controller tells me 'unable to load avago technologies mpt bios" and skips anything related to the card. I am very unhappy at the moment and the documentation and guide out there do not explain well how this is done either. I read somewhere that an EFI util is needed to go from IR to IT. Could you please shed some light on where I need to go next? Right now I have a brand new card that is in a unusable state and by god I hope it is not bricked! Please assist ASAP. Thanks.

Mike Gomon

Dabbler
I tried to flash using the built in utility under single user mode and encountered a problem after erasing the flash (-e 6), then attempted to flash the new firmware which failed half way through and had no choice but to reboot since there was a kernel crash. Now the controller tells me 'unable to load avago technologies mpt bios" and skips anything related to the card. I am very unhappy at the moment and the documentation and guide out there do not explain well how this is done either. I read somewhere that an EFI util is needed to go from IR to IT. Could you please shed some light on where I need to go next? Right now I have a brand new card that is in a unusable state and by god I hope it is not bricked! Please assist ASAP. Thanks.

Please let me know as soon as humanly possible. If I need to call in a warranty on this I will but need to do so ASAP. Thanks.

Mike Gomon

Dabbler
I tried to flash using the built in utility under single user mode and encountered a problem after erasing the flash (-e 6), then attempted to flash the new bios/firmware, bios flash fine and the firmware which failed half way through and had no choice but to reboot since there was a kernel crash. Now the controller tells me 'unable to load avago technologies mpt bios" and skips anything related to the card. I am very unhappy at the moment and the documentation and guide out there do not explain well how this is done either. I read somewhere that an EFI util is needed to go from IR to IT. Could you please shed some light on where I need to go next? Right now I have a brand new card that is in a unusable state and by god I hope it is not bricked! Please assist ASAP. Thanks.

Attachments

• 2016-03-29_22-00-57.png
    2016-03-29_22-00-57.png
    184.1 KB · Views: 288

teema

Cadet
What error message did you get flashing the firmware?

It's probably not bricked unless you got a kernel panic literally as it was flashing the firmware. It's really, really hard to brick these cards doing -e 6.

Mike Gomon

Dabbler
What error message did you get flashing the firmware?

It's probably not bricked unless you got a kernel panic literally as it was flashing the firmware. It's really, really hard to brick these cards doing -e 6.

It happened during the fireware upgrade, I wasn't able to catch all of the messages from the screen it scrolled quite a bit of information. I began at the FreeNAS Single User Mode console prompt and ended up in a da> prompt with loads of messages all over the screen which appeared as a kernel panic at which point I was unable to do anything I rebooted and was going to go back into Single User Mode again to try once again. I have been reading that Supermico boards don't play well with firmware upgrades. I was going to try and toss this card into a workstation to see if flashing there would make a difference. Might be a bit before I am able to do that though. I am completely open to suggestions. Thanks.

teema

Cadet
Does sas2flash -list recognize the card at all? Unable to load mpt bios sounds like the flash erasing might have not finished properly, but I'm not sure, haven't ran into that before. Personally, I erased my card with -e 6 and then flashed only the firmware as I don't need the boot ROM. It makes system startups faster, too.

I would probably get into the EFI shell and use sas2flash.efi to see if the card's recognized, if the firmware is still in there, then probably erase it again and flash.

Mike Gomon

Dabbler
Does sas2flash -list recognize the card at all? Unable to load mpt bios sounds like the flash erasing might have not finished properly, but I'm not sure, haven't ran into that before. Personally, I erased my card with -e 6 and then flashed only the firmware as I don't need the boot ROM. It makes system startups faster, too.

I would probably get into the EFI shell and use sas2flash.efi to see if the card's recognized, if the firmware is still in there, then probably erase it again and flash.
The mboard doesn't support UEFI, it's a little older and I can't get it to boot from a bootable DOS USB stick either. I tried single user mode again and this is what I get. (Attached). Server locks up at this point.

Attachments

• 5c0101d2747267caf9144cd467706ccd.jpg
    5c0101d2747267caf9144cd467706ccd.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 272

teema

Cadet
That sort of reaffirms my guess that the boot rom is corrupted or borked somehow. If you can't get sas2flash to work under DOS then you probably want to plug the card into another system where EFI is available. It does seem to recognize the card, so there's that.

Other than that, I don't know.

Mike Gomon

Dabbler
That sort of reaffirms my guess that the boot rom is corrupted or borked somehow. If you can't get sas2flash to work under DOS then you probably want to plug the card into another system where EFI is available. It does seem to recognize the card, so there's that.

Other than that, I don't know.

Hallelujah!!!! I was finally able to boot from a DOS Bootable USB stick and able to re-flash the firmware with success! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.