Lost OS after update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bhoot

Patron
Yesterday I updated my OS thru GUI. Later booted the NAS and ran a few shows. Before sleeping I switched off the NAS. When I woke up in the morning after switching on the system I was greeted with "freenas this is a nas data disk and can not boot system". I believe this is a USB drive failure. Could you tell me how to go about "recovering system" without losing data? I have spare USB and latest freenas img downloaded and ready.

Bhoot

Patron
So I booted the system replacing the OS USB with a new USB drive. and installing freenas on the "NEW" flash drive and removing the old one altogether. I set everything as the first time I setup the NAS box and I am able to see the GUI. Everything looks new. My drives aren't seen (I guess thats how its supposed to be) and I can login. How do I now get all the drives detected without losing any data.. I am scared now.. :( My old usb is kaput i guess.. showing 0kb of 0kb free (16gb hp).

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Be very careful, but your data should be just fine. What you want to do is "Import Volume." That will lead you through a process to get your pool imported, but you may still need to reconfigure your NAS. There's ways to get your old configuration back but the trouble involved probably isn't worth it unless your configuration was complex.

Bhoot

Patron
Wow. Thanks. Hope it works
Step 1: import volume
Step 2:Don't Decrypt

Now the volumes are visible and seem to be holding up to what I last remember.

Notice the Jails are still showing data and under the jail and plugins its blank on the GUI. Last time I remember having a lot of issues touching jails after installing them.
So should I ignore these and setup cifs/plex/transmission as if its a new install or something else?
I am already happy running everything fine.. YAY.. TY jgreco (I love the grinch dp)

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    315.8 KB · Views: 219

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I am sorry, but I cannot give you much advice on jails. We use FreeNAS in a strictly storage capacity here.

You can probably rescue the contents of the jails by saving off a copy of all the data (maybe in a new dataset) and then setting up the basic jails and restoring the old data, but that's the several-decade UNIX admin in me talking, and if you're not confident of your UNIX-fu then your better options are probably:

1) Start over, or

2) Find a copy of your old configuration on the new NAS. FreeNAS makes configuration backups and stores them in /var/db/system, which is actually part of your pool. So you could log in on the console, look in there, see if it exists, and find the newest version. Copy it to your computer, then upload it to the NAS, making it the active configuration. My *guess* is that this will restore everything to the way it was. Or totally hose everything. We haven't had any need to do that here, so this is completely theoretical, untested, etc. I can't picture it causing any data loss to do so, but I could picture it possibly hosing things badly enough you'd need to reinstall FreeNAS and go with option 1). I think it's very likely to work, though.

Bhoot

Patron
Ok so I have gone to the part where I have got the cifs and all data is safe and available.. YAY YAY YAY (I am dancing right now). Now to go on with the plugins.
Just maybe something totally irrelevant but now I see a Red Critical message on GUI

• CRITICAL: Device: /dev/ada0, 34 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors
Not sure How to react to this but I guess thats bad sectors on the disc.. correct?

joeschmuck

Old Man
You are likely looking at a hard drive replacement for the ada0 hard drive. As jgreco asked, are you using RAID-Z2 (or Z3), if so, follow the hard drive replacement instructions in the user guide, otherwise backup any important data to another device right way and get ready to replace a hard drive.

Bhoot

Patron
Yeah, that's not great. Are you using RAIDZ2?
yes z2 :)

You are likely looking at a hard drive replacement for the ada0 hard drive. As jgreco asked, are you using RAID-Z2 (or Z3), if so, follow the hard drive replacement instructions in the user guide, otherwise backup any important data to another device right way and get ready to replace a hard drive.
hmm i'll call wd for rma.. its a WD Red. So much for NAS optimized drives.. :)

jgreco

Resident Grinch
If you are in a reasonable position to afford it, the best advice is to buy a new drive and swap it in. The drive you get back from RMA is likely to be a repaired disk that has already seen some use.

Status
Not open for further replies.