Lost Grub after installing to new drives

abishur

Dabbler
I've been experimenting with Truenas on my server and today I got a couple of nvme -> Usb enclosures and a pcie usb card to plug them into. I could select the drives from the installer, but I couldn't get it to boot from them (this may be a limitation of my r720xd). Once I put them onto the local USB 2.0 ports I could successfully boot into my new system, yay!

The only issue is now I can't boot into my old system so I can back things up and migrate over to my new drives ‍♂️I've done A LOT of configuring and really don't want to loose all that work, how can I boot from my old drives?

In the grub interface that loads I did a ls command and identified my boot drives as hd4 and hd5. They have 4 gpt paritions. GPT 1, 3, and 4 say there is no known filesystem detected, when I do ls (hd5, gpt1). GPT2 says "Filesystem type fat - Label 'EFI', UUID " and so on. But it doesn't show any folders so I'm not sure how I could boot from it. ‍♂️

So basically this boils down to

1) Is there something special I need to do to boot from the PCIe usb or is that not possible from the 720xd?
2) What do I need to do to boot back into my original install (is it as simple as booting from the installer and selecting upgrade install?)
3) What is the recommended way to back things up so I can preserve my current pools, apps, VMs, etc?