lost drive in pool after expanding dataset

philgreedy

Cadet
Hey,
I have a single SSD-Pool used for Apps and some VMs. After replacing the older 500GB NVMe with an 1TB NVMe (which worked great), I tried to expand the dataset to make use of my additional 500GB. The expanding process threw an error because apparently the drive was still in use but "new size was set in kernel and available after restart". But after the restart my pool had no assigned drive and the disk shows N/A as a Pool (see screenshots).

1703671256869.png

1703671281261.png

Because the disk is listed as pool n/a I can not re-import the pool.

Is there any way I can add the drive back to the pool without loosing the data? Nothing got erased or formatted.
The data itself is not super critical (home-assistant VM, some docker apps etc) but I would rather not go through the HA installation again.

Thanks!

My System:
TrueNAS Scale 23.10.1
Intel NUC 7
i7 8700k
16GB RAM
1TB NVMe SSD (Data)
250GB SD (Boot)

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
does zpool status -v show the pool?

If not, does it appear in zpool import ?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
OK, so maybe it's one of those cases where the partition table is hosed and you can try putting it back, but that can be difficult if you get it wrong and it seems as though you don't have another identical disk to check for the right numbers of blocks.

Basically the process would be to get a working drive of the same type and look at the partition table there and either create a new one with the same values or even copy the first (I think it's 1K, but maybe another number) of blocks across from that disk.

I've seen some threads where people did that with success on HDDs.

philgreedy

Cadet
OK, so maybe it's one of those cases where the partition table is hosed and you can try putting it back, but that can be difficult if you get it wrong and it seems as though you don't have another identical disk to check for the right numbers of blocks.

Basically the process would be to get a working drive of the same type and look at the partition table there and either create a new one with the same values or even copy the first (I think it's 1K, but maybe another number) of blocks across from that disk.

I've seen some threads where people did that with success on HDDs.
you are right, I dont have another identical disk.
It seems to be one of these problems where actually fixing things is more effort than just starting over. Again, the data itself is not important but it still sucks when things go south which should not have been a problem at all. Thats what you get for not having a backup :)

Thanks a lot anyway!
~phil