Lost all files in /mnt/tank/Media after upgrade from FreeNAS to TrueNAS

Code:
root@freenas[~]# zfs list -t filesystem -o name,usedds tank
NAME  USEDDS
tank   9.25G
root@freenas[~]#
So in the top-level root dataset itself ("tank"), over 9GB is being used up. (Not in children datasets, not in snapshots.)

Does 9GB sound about right for the photos/videos you're missing?

Last edited:

MicahPotter

Dabbler
Another thing that can clue us in:
zfs list -t filesystem -o name,usedds tank

EDIT: Outside of this, I'm beyond confused, and actually scared. Simply upgrading from FreeNAS 11.x to TrueNAS 12.x emptied the contents of an entire dataset? I don't even see how that's possible. Did you at any point create a snapshot of Media? How did you populate Media? Via an SMB share?
Unfortunately I didn't take any snapshots. To populate it I have a NAS client app on my phone to move photos and videos over. Other than that I use an afp share to sync photos/video from my mac.

All my kids pictures from the last 10 years are just gone like that.
:confused: Please, please, please always have backups, and if feasible, more than one backup. It's for reasons like these and other unpredictable events.

I took a config backup before the upgrade and have tried to restore from that hoping it would help... but no luck.
Config backups have nothing to do with the data on your pool. It's only to restore your settings.

Unfortunately I didn't take any snapshots. To populate it I have a NAS client app on my phone to move photos and videos over. Other than that I use an afp share to sync photos/video from my mac.
I replied after this. One last idea left.

Does 9GB sound about right for the photos/videos you're missing?

Last edited:

Arwen

MVP
Everyone, I think it was either not saved to this NAS, or it's gone some how.

The amount of space used in Pool "tank" is 29.3G;

Everyone, I think it was either not saved to this NAS, or it's gone some how.
There’s still over 9 GB worth of unexplained files sitting directly in the root dataset. There’s a chance this could be the photos/videos.

Waiting on @MicahPotter to respond.

Tony-1971

Contributor
On my Scale system AFP (Apple File Protocol) is not present (Shares menu); so I think is not supported.
Not sure if this can be the problem.
The NAS client app on your phone which protocol use?