Lose WebGui when choosing a pool for apps

Phil Williams

Dabbler
I've spotted an irritating behaviour when testing applications. As I hit the applications section I am promoted to select the pool. If I select the desired pool I get a window saying Kubernetes is being configured or similar and this hangs for about 30 seconds. Eventually, I lose access to the WebGui and the only resolution I have found so far is to restore from the CLI. Naturally not a long-term fix.

I have a feeling that this may be because the apps wants to use the same IP address I have assigned for the server. so my proposed plan is the following:
  1. Under System Settings > General > GUI > Settings I set the Web Interface IPv4 Address to 192.168.0.6
  2. Under network > Static Routes I add a new static route of 192.168.0.7
  3. Under Apps > Settings > Advanced Settings > Node IP I use this new IP (192.168.0.7)
  4. For the route v4 interface, I set this to the same NIC as the web GUI (I have four to choose from if this makes any difference)
In my head (and from reading docs) this should separate out the web GUI from apps meaning when I enable the apps pool I don't lose the WebGUI access correct?

For context: I may use apps in the future but I want to create a docker container to hold MakeMKV so I can rip my DVDs from the NAS rather than a separate machine.

Phil Williams

Dabbler
So I've managed to fix this. Finally. Here's what I did...

1. After my xxxth reinstall of the config, I went into Network and assigned a fixed IP for the NIC rather than DHCP
  2. I set the nameservers for the global config to 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1
  3. System Settings > General > GUI > Settings
  4. Set the Web Interface IPv4 Address to my primary IP on the NIC (the same I had set above) and save
  5. Under apps > advanced settings
    1. Node IP: 0.0.0.0
    2. Cluster CIDR: 172.16.72.0/22
    3. Service CIDR: 172.17.72.0/22
    4. Cluster DNS IP: 172.17.72.10
    5. Save changes
  6. I already had an ix-applications dataset for some reason in my pool so I binned it as it wasn't in use
  7. Back to Apps > Settings > Choose Pool
  8. Selected my pool and saved
  9. Held my breath as this is where it always went wrong
  10. It worked
Now I'm still not entirely sure why this worked where my previous attempts didn't so I'll be digging into this more but thought this solution may be useful to some :)