When to add a custom host path for apps?

Alfredo_

Cadet
I was following the Nextcloud tutorial which creates separate datasets for each data section in the app (data, db, dbbackup, and opt). This makes sense to me I guess, since you can now set custom snapshots for the parent dataset, create backups, ... When looking at the regular, non-media tutorial for Nextcloud however, they only create a dataset for the data folder. Where would the Postgres data live in this case? And how would you go about creating backups of this?

What's considered best practice when it comes to creating datasets for apps? One per app and use that for all custom host path settings? One per entry for custom host paths?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Where would the Postgres data live in this case? And how would you go about creating backups of this?

db, dbbackup
I would consider your requirements, but backing up dbbackup would probably provide some kind of safety without messing with the live DB in an unknown state.

What's considered best practice when it comes to creating datasets for apps? One per app and use that for all custom host path settings? One per entry for custom host paths?
No. That's the wrong way to look at it... matching your needs with the dataset layout is what's important...

Will you have any need to snapshot data more often than opt (probably, since opt is just the nextcloud app itself).

How often would you want the database backed up? is that the same frequency as the data? (then no need... at least from that perspective... to have a separate dataset)

However, would you look into the db performance tuning for a dataset only for the db and therefore change it to be different recordsize to data... then a different dataset is needed. https://openzfs.github.io/openzfs-docs/Performance and Tuning/Workload Tuning.html#id68