Looks for an 8-bay short rack enclosure, similar to a Synology RS1221+ or RS1221RP+

swinster

Dabbler
Hi,

I'm looking for something to run TrueNas but similar to the Synology RS1221+ or RS1221RP+, or at a push, their desktop version - the DS1821+. Most of the previous threads are 8+ years old, and any links are long since dead. The Truenas enclosures seem overly expensive. Most rack systems are too long for a short network cabinet.

Cheers

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Hi,

I'm looking for something to run TrueNas but similar to the Synology RS1221+ or RS1221RP+, or at a push, their desktop version - the DS1821+. Most of the previous threads are 8+ years old, and any links are long since dead. The Truenas enclosures seem overly expensive. Most rack systems are too long for a short network cabinet.

Cheers

These basically do not exist.

The Synology unit you are looking at is specially designed for its task. Supermicro does offer short depth servers, but finding a storage enclosure to hold a large number of hard drives is difficult. Synology has the RX418, but that looks like it is probably an eSATA based SATA port multiplier for four drives, which is not recommended.

swinster

Dabbler
I kind of figured, @jgreco , but thanks. I think it might have been your post I read from a few years ago (sorry, so many things read to get to this point that I can't quite remember), but it went something along the lines of, "it would be really nice is such thing were available to home NAS users.". Looks like it will have to be the Synology :(.

artlessknave

Wizard
the highest density desktop style I know of currently:
I used the 8 bay version to build a NAS for my brother. it's very solid, though I wish it had a pair of hotswap 2.5 drives or something, for easy boot disk SSDs.

artlessknave

Wizard
Their entire store is out of stock and has been the last few times I've looked.
oh. well. that's not helpful then. either they are too good and everybody wants em or the company is...a zombie?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Actually the 2020 is only on the main page. Some of the other pages have 2022. Shame on me for not noticing.

swinster

Dabbler
HA! I did go to look at the U-NAS store, but thie TLS certificate had expired last September. This tells me that they either do nota care about thier security or shop front, or that something more serious has occurred, such as they have gone out of business.