Looking to get a parts list together

Status
Not open for further replies.

htpc1602

Cadet
Hi there,

I'm currently just using a W10 machine with an SSD and four WD Reds installed in it (3x 3TB, 1x 4TB), but I'm now to the point where I'm running out of physical space in my little Node 304 case, and I had to throw in a PCIE SATA expansion card in today as my motherboard only had 4 slots. After some research, I don't think a Synology or QNAP will cut it, as I like to share my library with friends/family, etc and they don't seem to be powerful enough.

I was originally just going to get a newer generation i7 and throw a system together, but I've seen some talk about grabbing older motherboards and getting a used Xeon that can be bought on eBay for a great price. Just looking for either some suggestions, or a point in the right direction for current recommended builds, etc. Because I'm in an apartment currently, I'd prefer a nicer looking case, but I can hide it if the cases with a large amount of bays is too pricey. Price (without drives) I'd like to keep under $800CAD, but I'd be willing to go higher for a build that is future proofed a little.

Current Setup: https://i.imgur.com/PftIF6b.png
- Not using RAID currently, but would like to after setting up a dedicated FreeNAS system. Using 8.5TB, and just added a 4TB drive today
- Computer sitting in the TV stand, all the storage inside
- Sonarr/Radarr/Jackett running 24/7
- All files are 720p or 1080p, nothing in 4K, and I don't see that changing in the next few years
- 85% local files being played from the W10 computer on Kodi, 10% files being shared to family/friends on Plex, 5% local files being played on a Chromecast using the Plex mobile app

If you need any other info to help get a better understanding, let me know.

Thanks!

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
- 85% local files being played from the W10 computer on Kodi, 10% files being shared to family/friends on Plex, 5% local files being played on a Chromecast using the Plex mobile app

FreeNAS is a NAS software and not designed to play files locally. Going the FreeNAS route you would need two machines: A HTPC and a NAS.

For the case you didn't already read the Hardware Recommendations Guide for FreeNAS:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/hardware-recommendations-guide.12/

Using 3 x 3TB and 2 x 4TB HDDs in FreeNAS (using ZFS, of course) most possibly will result in a strange and/or space-wasting configuration. Please also read
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ning-vdev-zpool-zil-and-l2arc-for-noobs.7775/

Side note: Images on external images hosters are undesirable in this forum, please use just drag and drop.

htpc1602

Cadet
Thank you for the links, I've downloaded both resources to look over.

I already have an HTPC as outlined above, so there is no problem there. I guess I should have mentioned that I still plan on keeping the HTPC, and making a FreeNAS system as the storage solution.

And for the HDDs, I did see that as a possible issue going forwards, but the 4TB was on sale for only $10 more than the 3TB so I couldn't think of a reason to not grab it. Ideally I'd like 4TB or 8TB drives in the long run, but for now I guess I can just buy some more 4TB and sell my 3TB drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.