Looking for feedback on a build for my budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Do they stay below 40C after an hour of scrubbing?

panz

Guru
Thanks guys.
The idea to go with a 8gig DIMM is that eventually, I can add a second 8gig dimm for 16gis and only use 2 of the 4 slots, leaving me the option to get to 32gigs a needed (the sooner if memory prices drop :) ).

Cool. Thanks again for the help.

Best,

TCG

look at my signature, where you can find the reference to the RAM I'm using.

diedrichg

Wizard
@thecoffeeguy - How'd the build turn out?

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

thecoffeeguy

Dabbler
Heya.
Well, I had started to order my parts when my car engine died. That hurt and cut into my budget for my rig.
However, since then, the only piece I am lacking is drives currently. Everything else I bought.

I was going to ask about drives though. i currently have a few unopened "Green" WD drives. They are 2TB:

Here they are:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1N81H85401

Now sure where I got them from.
Anyway, I have two of them and thought i would use those to play around with.

BUt I have heard some not so great things about green drives for NAS setups. Just wanted to ask about that. If that is the case, what sort of drives should I be looking for.

Thanks guys.

Cheers,

TCG

joelmusicman

Patron
Nothing wrong with greens at all. Just make sure to run the wdidle tool and disable the 8s head park.

erturne

Dabbler

c32767a

Patron
I just put as much in as I can get!.. I don't worry about single/dual channel.. Just that I have alot (max if I had $$) for ZFS..

You want to be careful with RAM configurations on Xeons. Since Nehalem, certain RAM configurations are more optimal than others. Generally, more than 2 DIMMS on a channel will result in a drop in memory speed to accommodate the 3rd DIMM. Maybe not a huge issue on a NAS, but sometimes performance bottlenecks pop up in the strangest places.

thecoffeeguy

Dabbler
Hey everyone.
Well, believe it or not, I finally got around to building my system this weekend. Its a long long story. The month of May was pretty much a disaster for me, but things have slowed down.
Anyway, i was super excited to build this today, only i ran into a issue.

Refresher, I have this mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182251 SuperMicro MBD-X9SCL-F-O

I bought a Fractal Node 304

As I assembling this today, to my horror, it does not look like this motherboard will fit into this case. I went back and read all the specs.

The motherboard supports, "Micro ATX".
The case supports, "Mini ITX."

Unless I completely missed something, anyone want to confirm that? Going to look at it again, but it definitely does not look like this case will hold this motherboard. :(

erturne

Dabbler

thecoffeeguy

Dabbler
Just thought I would send a update here.
System is FINALLY built and running like a champ. Currently just testing it out and playing around. Rock solid so far (First SuperMicro board and absolutely love it.)

I have three drives in there now, just testing out the different items, but moving forward, at the very minimum, I should go with 4? I have room for 6 at the moment, so if i needed to max out the drives I can as well.

So far, its been a lot of fun.

I really appreciate everyone's feedback and suggestions here.

Thank you again!

Cheers,

TCG

diedrichg

Wizard
For your final build you will want to go with the maximum number of drives you can afford because you can't add drives too increase your storage size, you can only replace all disks of a greater size to increase storage. Raidz2 supports 4,6,8,10 drives with reports of 6&10 being optimal and can survive the loss of 2 drives without data loss. Raidz3 gives even more disk failure survival at the expense of capacity.

I opted to go with Raidz2 containing 4 disks. I originally built a non-optimal pool with 1,1,1,2TB drives. (My pool shows as though I have four 1TB drives since it bases your storage on the smallest drive in the pool.) I have slowly replaced the 1TB drives with 2TB as I get the extra cash. I have one more drive to replace before my pool will be a full-sized 2,2,2,2TB pool. This is my situation, this is all I can afford but I'm not sacrificing my data by being thrifty.

Another thought, you will want to buy an additional drive of the same size to keep it on your bookshelf when a drive dies so you can immediately replace it without having to wait for another to be shipped.

There was something else to consider but I lost what I was going to say.

danb35

Hall of Famer
For your final build you will want to go with the maximum number of drives you can afford because you can't add drives too increase your storage size, you can only replace all disks of a greater size to increase storage. Raidz2 supports 4,6,8,10 drives with reports of 6&10 being optimal and can survive the loss of 2 drives without data loss.
This isn't quite correct. Yes, it's possible to add drives later, with the caveat that they'd need to be in redundant vdevs if you want to preserve redundancy in the pool. So, you could add a two-disk mirror to a four-disk RAIDZ2 vdev to expand its capacity.

Second, there's no requirement that RAIDZ2 use an even number of drives. RAIDZ2 requires a minimum of four drives, but can work with any number >= 4. General recommendations call for keeping vdev size <= 11 disks, but that's a recommendation, not a requirement. Similarly, some analysis suggests that 4, 6, or 10 disks would be optimal for RAIDZ2 because of the way the data is split among the drives, but at least one of the lead ZFS developers seems to believe that rule is no longer applicable given the use of compression.

Status
Not open for further replies.