Recommend a Motherboard > 32GB Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

we7313

Dabbler

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The E3's prior to V5 are limited to 32GB. The practical sideways choice is probably the X10SRL with an E5-1620 CPU. Be sure to look at registered, not unbuffered, memory if you go that route. The Avoton C2750 also supports 64GB RAM but the DIMM prices are ridiculous.

mattbbpl

Patron
I had a similar decision to make (I'm right at the threshold of requiring more than 32 GB of RAM), and decided that by the time I need more storage my current infrastructure would probably not be worth upgrading - at least not given the price differential required for a 64+ GB platform immediately.

There comes a point where future proofing your machine is no longer cost effective given the projected tech trajectory. I'm not sure if you've reached that point or not, but it's something to consider before making the jump beyond the 32 GB wall.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
By the way, the rules for RAM sizing do soften up once you get up there with that much RAM. You probably don't want to build a 100TB pool on a 32GB box, but you can probably get away with 50-60TB.

Status
Not open for further replies.