LogitechMediaServer (LMS) on FreeNAS

NugentS

MVP
So - I installed a new basejail 12.2-RELEASE-p6. I can ping it and it can ping outbound
Ran the @SimoneF script from inside the jail
Script runs and seems to complete. Even ran an update and it told me no updates
Set up a mount point (but will probably have to debug permissions later)

But nothing happens

Nothing on Port 9000 or 9001 (HTTP/HTTPS)
ps shows nothing remotely like lms

much head scratching

SimoneF

Explorer
So - I installed a new basejail 12.2-RELEASE-p6. I can ping it and it can ping outbound
Ran the @SimoneF script from inside the jail
Script runs and seems to complete. Even ran an update and it told me no updates
Set up a mount point (but will probably have to debug permissions later)

But nothing happens

Nothing on Port 9000 or 9001 (HTTP/HTTPS)
ps shows nothing remotely like lms

much head scratching

Have you correctly set up portforwarding for the jail? Remember that the jails are under NAT

NugentS

MVP
No NAT on this Jail - its got its own IP address through a vnet

NugentS

MVP
Is lms started? "service logitechmediaserver start"
1630688270083.png

quite happy to change the value - but where?
Looking at /usr/local/etc/rc.d/logitechmediaserver (probably the wrong file)

logitechmediaserver_enable="YES" is hashed out
BUT lang isn't set to C - its set to US.UTF-8 - which is probably good enough for me in the UK
1630688685786.png

SimoneF

Explorer
View attachment 49184
quite happy to change the value - but where?
Looking at /usr/local/etc/rc.d/logitechmediaserver (probably the wrong file)

logitechmediaserver_enable="YES" is hashed out
BUT lang isn't set to C - its set to US.UTF-8 - which is probably good enough for me in the UK
View attachment 49185
There's a reason why I left it to C. It's because otherwise you'll get a memory leak on FreeBSD. So, don't change the locale. See previous posts.
Which version of FreeBSD is the jail based on? 12 or 13?
During this Weekend I'll set up a TrueNAS VM to test the latest update which I have only tested on FreeBSD 13

NugentS

MVP
BaseJail: 12.2-RELEASE-p6.
TrueNAS 12.0-U5.1

NugentS

MVP
Just released an update, tested on FreeBSD 12.2. Update from lms_installer
That seems to work - now got LMS running, and starts automatically
Now I just have to get access to the media - but I have done that before - so should be able to repeat

SimoneF

Explorer
That seems to work - now got LMS running, and starts automatically
Now I just have to get access to the media - but I have done that before - so should be able to repeat
Perfect! Sorry for the bug, testing on all the different FreeBSD derivative is time consuming and sometimes I just test on the one that I'm running and bugs happens

NugentS

MVP
So - I set up a slimserv account on TrueNAS with a userid of 104. Primary Group wheel and AuxGroup MediaServers. Samba Auth with a disabled password. No home directory, no password. Looks just like my plex account

I then add this user with appropriate permissions to the dataset holding music in the same way that the plex user is added (must use a group) and apply the permissions on the whole dataset

After setting the mountpoint to /mnt/Music (a folder I created) I start the jail

No Access in LMS although root has access from the jail
In fact LMS can't even see the mount point

What am I doing wrong?

SimoneF

Explorer
So - I set up a slimserv account on TrueNAS with a userid of 104. Primary Group wheel and AuxGroup MediaServers. Samba Auth with a disabled password. No home directory, no password. Looks just like my plex account

I then add this user with appropriate permissions to the dataset holding music in the same way that the plex user is added (must use a group) and apply the permissions on the whole dataset

After setting the mountpoint to /mnt/Music (a folder I created) I start the jail

No Access in LMS although root has access from the jail
In fact LMS can't even see the mount point

What am I doing wrong?
Wouldn't it be easier to just add a mount point to the jail? https://www.truenas.com/docs/core/applications/jails/storage/

NugentS

MVP
I have done just that - still can't see the files (or even the mount point)

SimoneF

Explorer
I have done just that - still can't see the files (or even the mount point)
Be sure to shut down the jail before settings the mount point and read carefully the instructions in the link.
BTW I cannot give support about TrueNAS Core specific problems since I don't even use TrueNAS Core as a storage solution.

SimoneF

Explorer
01/10/2021
Updated LMS to the latest 8.2.1
Updated IO-Socket-SSL and Audio-Scan modules

@JoshDW19 Is it possible to move the thread in a more appropriate sub-forum like "Applications and plugins" since this is not about legacy TrueNAS releases?

make-nz

Dabbler
Hi there
Is anyone using the UPnPBridge plugin?
It keeps crashing, when trying to start it…
Starting Squeeze2upnp: /usr/local/share/logitechmediaserver/Cache/InstalledPlugins/Plugins/UPnPBridge/Bin/squeeze2upnp-bsd-x64-static -Z -I -f /usr/local/share/logitechmediaserver/Logs/upnpbridge.log -x /usr/local/share/logitechmediaserver/prefs/upnpbridge.xml
[14:59:01.139528] main:1774 Starting squeeze2upnp version: v1.81.0 (Dec 30 2021 @ 13:06:18)
[14:59:01.147622] Start:1519 UPnP init failed: -203 cannot bind socket(s)

[14:59:01.147699] main:1815 Cannot start, exiting

Retarting Squeeze2upnp after crash: /usr/local/share/logitechmediaserver/Cache/InstalledPlugins/Plugins/UPnPBridge/Bin/squeeze2upnp-bsd-x64 -Z -I -f /usr/local/share/logitechmediaserver/Logs/upnpbridge.log -x /usr/local/share/logitechmediaserver/prefs/upnpbridge.xml

Retarting Squeeze2upnp after crash: /usr/local/share/logitechmediaserver/Cache/InstalledPlugins/Plugins/UPnPBridge/Bin/squeeze2upnp-bsd-x64 -Z -I -f /usr/local/share/logitechmediaserver/Logs/upnpbridge.log -x /usr/local/share/logitechmediaserver/prefs/upnpbridge.xml

Something in the jail settings, regarding socket(s) I have overlooked, maybe?

Cheers

Attachments

• temp_01.png
    temp_01.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 175

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Check the allow_raw_sockets setting for the jail. Just a guess, I don't run LMS.