local static IP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chadi

Explorer
I have a dedicated Cisco switch specifically for local access (non-public) for purpose of bandwidth traffic not getting calculated for backups among local servers, naturally. All servers have their usual public ethernet cables hooked up to a public Cisco switch. For specific servers I want to do routine automatic backups to the local freenas box, I also hooked up a 2nd cable from the server to the private switch.

Now, the question is how do I properly assign a local static IP address so that all servers locally can connect to the freenas? I can access the freenas via public web and ssh of course but locally, I've never done that setup before.

Would appreciate help. I did find this guide but not sure 100% about this, as both em0 and em1 have the same public IP assigned to them. Plus, it states to reboot after, so I don't want to lock myself out if the setting is wrong.

chukker

Cadet
I'm a little unclear about exactly what your question is, but I'm assuming it's this:

You have several servers, each with two network interfaces. Let's assume they're all intel, and em0 is public/em1 is private. You want to have traffic between the servers on the private interfaces.

You should be able to assign each private interface an address in 10.0.0.0/24 (or your other favorite private ip space). For example, assign freenas 10.0.0.2/24, and each of your each of your other servers 10.0.0.3/24, 10.0.0.4/24, etc. Plug them all into the same switch on the same vlan, and you should have connectivity between them.

If I'm not understanding your question, can you elaborate more?

rm-r

Contributor
you will likely need to set up some routes so the system knows to use a certain nic for a certain subnet too

Status
Not open for further replies.