Local RSYNC task? (sync disk to disk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

maurertodd

Dabbler
In .7 I could setup local Rsync (disk to disk) tasks in the GUI.

I don't see how to do that in 8.x. Do I use the GUI under "Rsync Tasks" and set the Remote Host to the loop back address? Or is the only way to learn the command line and schedule cron jobs?

Or is there a better way to schedule daily syncs of two disk drives/file systems?

Background...

I use my FreeNAS server for network backups. The Windows PCs backup to my FreeNAS server via RSYNC to one set of disks. A few hours before that is scheduled to run I want my FreeNAS server to sync that set of drives to another set. That way I have last night's files and the previous night's files.

Todd

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You might be better off with ZFS snapshots...

maurertodd

Dabbler
So with ZFS snapshots, how many gyrations will I need to go throught to present the two nights old file sets as samba shares?

JaimieV

Guru

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
i use cron jobs for this. here is an example of one of my jobs:
Code:
rsync -rvuAth --log-file=/mnt/lun2/linux_rsync.log /mnt/nas_lun1/fileshares/software/OS/linux/*.iso /mnt/lun2/pve/template/iso/

ProtoSD

MVP
I seem to recall that there's a facility to simply share snapshots as if they were normal folders, but damned if I can find it in the UI...

May be this: Shadow Copies, http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Windows_(CIFS)_Shares

You're right, you CAN do this, but I also don't know exactly how it's done or where it is documented.

EDIT: I did a little digging and it seems like "Shadow Copies" might be the way it's done:

http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Windows_(CIFS)_Shares#Configuring_Shadow_Copies

gmontalvo

Dabbler
In .7 I could setup local Rsync (disk to disk) tasks in the GUI.

I don't see how to do that in 8.x. Do I use the GUI under "Rsync Tasks" and set the Remote Host to the loop back address? Or is the only way to learn the command line and schedule cron jobs?

Or is there a better way to schedule daily syncs of two disk drives/file systems?

Background...

I use my FreeNAS server for network backups. The Windows PCs backup to my FreeNAS server via RSYNC to one set of disks. A few hours before that is scheduled to run I want my FreeNAS server to sync that set of drives to another set. That way I have last night's files and the previous night's files.

Todd

I wanted something simliar, so I created the following post: forums.freenas.org. It includes a simple script that can be modified as desired. Hope it helps some others.

Status
Not open for further replies.