Load Cycle Count Nightmare -- and Solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
So, I typically rock WD reds in my FreeNAS's.

I used to use some WD blue's, however, on a HTPC box which also doubled as a backup system to my NAS. After I made my new NAS last summer, which was considerably larger, those 4TB blues I had in that backup system were no longer large enough, on their own, to be useful. So, I took the old FreeNAS mobo, put it in a bigger case, pressed my 3x2TB reds from the old box, *AND* the 2x4TB blues from the backup system, into a mixed zpool, installed FreeNAS, and made *THAT* my backup box. I also use the backup box to test FreeNAS 11.

So. FreeNAS11 has a "daemon.log" in /var/log. "Hmph, interesting!" say I. And I look at it. Among the various things it records, are any changes in the interpreted values of your SMART parameters. And lo and behold, the "load cycle" parameter is dropping precipitously, by a unit or two PER DAY, on the blues, which are in the system as ada0 and ada1. Sure enough,
Code:
smartctl -a /dev/ada0 | grep Load_Cycle
gives me the bad news. I have 250000 load cycles now on those blues. "Wow, that's going way faster than I thought". Not a minute later, I run the same command. The load cycles have GONE UP BY SIX, in just that time. "OK, this is a job for that wdidle3.exe stuff I keep hearing about". And come to discover---no, not really, these guys can't be set by wdidle3--many of the newer drives from WD cannot. Whooooooops.

"Well, I guess I better access something on this drive like 12 times a minute then." So, we need a script to do that. After being inspired by some ideas I saw online (forgive me---I don't mean to plagiarize, but I didn't pay close attention to who exactly suggested what), I decided to run a never-ending bash script. bash is nice because it has a $RANDOM in there, which can be used to strong effect. Here's what I came up with (i.e., mostly stole from the kind of thing I saw others do), which is now running in the background at all times, and indeed, it stopped the load-cycle counter dead in its tracks:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
FILE=/tmp/lccprevent.txt

while true
do
		/bin/echo "Western Digital Greens and Blues should die in a fire." > $FILE
		/bin/bash -c '/bin/dd if=/dev/ada0 of=/dev/null count=1 skip=${RANDOM}'
		/bin/bash -c '/bin/dd if=/dev/ada1 of=/dev/null count=1 skip=${RANDOM}'
		/bin/bash -c '/bin/echo ${RANDOM}' >> $FILE
		/bin/sleep 4
done

So, unpacking that a little, I set a file name to store in the temp directory. We then have the infinite loop, which first expresses a disenfranchising emotion about the necessity to have this script in the first place. It then calls command-line bash and makes "clever"(?) use of dd to read a block from some random place on ada0, then the same on ada1. This counts as a legitimate access of the specific drives which should stop the parking timer, and just redirects that stuff to devnull. As for echo I put a random number at the end of the file? I have no idea. One of the scripts I saw online from someone that seemed smart (no pun intended) put it there, and so whatever, I put it in there, I figure it can't hurt to access the pool and a second time for a file write. Then I sleep for 4 seconds, and repeat. I suspect 4 could probably be raised somewhat. But whatever. Doesn't matter.

End result is that instead of the load counter going up by 10 per minute (or worse), it hasn't gone up at all for hours now.

You'll want to backgroundize this and/or stick it in as a script to execute upon startup, etc., lest you forget to run the script next time you reboot.

Anyway. yeah, there you go. It's not particularly elegant, but I'd have been at a million load cycles in no time without something like this.

Enjoy.

Last edited:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Thanks. I recently scored a couple smaller NIB Blues from a dumpster dive (literally) and this will come in handy for them.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
That's the one I thought I tried. Do you have the same model and firmware version?

Code:
Device Model:	 WDC WD40EZRZ-00WN9B0
Firmware Version: 80.00A80

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
That's the one I thought I tried. Do you have the same model and firmware version?

Code:

I've been buying them regularly, since they changed from green to blue, I have about 25 currently, most from the older 4 platter model like yours:

Code:
Model Family:	 Western Digital Blue

and the more recent ones are from the new 3 platter model:

Code:
Model Family:	 Western Digital Blue
Device Model:	 WDC WD40EZRZ-00GXCB0

First thing I do before adding them to a server is to disable head parking, and it always worked, when you tried were they connected to an HBA or onboard SATA ports?

I don't know if it works on any controller but I've always used one of the onboard SATA ports to run wdidle3.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
After using the wdidle3, the drive works with no problems in FreeNAS?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
So, yeah, I got wdidle3 to work on these drives, as the one guy in this thread suggested. So my script is not relevant for my case. But there certainly exist WD drives out there that are not wdidle'able, and will require a script like this...

evilandy

Dabbler
Hi DrKK,

Thanks for the script. I'll be using this in the near future. I have the 6TB version (WD60EZRZ-00GZ5B1 2018) of this drive and cannot get the WDIDLE3 to work despite a few different types of DOS boots, machines (Mac Pro 2008, N36Ls, DELL Dimension), IDE boots and SATA controllers.

I think my drives are blocked via a firmware update but thought I'd check if you did anything more to get WDIDLE3 to work?

EA

Status
Not open for further replies.