Load Balancing in Kubernetes and Docker

ankit dixit

Cadet
Hello All, I am working on a freelance project and I want to know which one is good in load balancing between Kubernetes and Docker. when I was searching to find the main differences and According to research docker does auto load balancing. Is it right? and can anyone know about Kubernetes?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Maybe you mean to compare Docker Swarm and Kubernetes... those are both container orchestration platforms.

Docker (when used as a singular name reference) is a container engine/system for creating and working with/running containers and does not load balance on its own.

Kubernetes (and in a similar way, Docker Swarm) do clusters and load balancing of container workloads according to configured instructions.

Kubernetes is considered "industry standard" and Docker Swarm didn't really make it to critical mass. You might also look at Rancher Server as another alternative/front-end for Kubernetes to make it a bit more user friendly.

TrueNAS SCALE has selected Kubernetes as the orchestration platform.

I think a bit of googling for things like "what is Kubernetes" and "what is docker" might have saved you a post.

ankit dixit

Cadet
Thanks @sretalla Yes I am comparing both of them in terms of load balancing and I have to google it and found this reference for head-to-head comparison which In Kubernetes, we have to manually configure our load balancing settings.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
In Kubernetes, we have to manually configure our load balancing settings.
Well, in Kubernetes (by itself) you have to do everything manually (i.e. telling it what you want it to do).

You can use products like TrueNAS SCALE (still in Beta), WMware Tanzu or Rancher to put a nicer/more automated and curated view in front of Kubernetes to avoid having to do everything on your own.

Docker Swarm includes that nice interface as part of its package, but as I mentioned, it isn't getting to critical mass and everyone using containers for any serious reason is using kubernetes (either with or without some product in front of it).

truecharts

Guru
You can use products like TrueNAS SCALE (still in Beta), WMware Tanzu or Rancher to put a nicer/more automated and curated view in front of Kubernetes to avoid having to do everything on your own.
It might be worth adding here, that the actual automation of things like the loadbalancers and services, are not made/created/managed by TrueNAS SCALE, that's all part of the Helm Charts that form the basis of the system. Which are the responsibility of the individual App/Catalog maintainers.

So the amount of work you can/need-to do on loadbalancers/services, also determines heavily on that as well.
In that regard a good comparison to TrueNAS SCALE Apps, is KubeApps by Bitnami.

For freelance work, the system is completely open to all sorts of customisations you might want to make for loadbalancers/services for a specific project. To jumpstart you setting up a project catalog we do provide a catalog tempate on our github you can use to get starting relatively quickly, moving from just a Helm Chart to a SCALE App :)