linux vm will not boot with kernel >= 4.15

Status
Not open for further replies.

kasak

Dabbler
Hello everybody. I have plenty of arch linux VMs installed in bhyve, and since kernel was updated to 4.15, I cannot boot them normally. I was able to fix this by booting with install iso, and downgrade kernel to linux-lts, that is 4.14. For now the kernel is 4.16.3 and still no luck. I have made a screenshot with "debug" option sent to kernel, so you can see what is freezing the system.
I know this may be not freenas issue, but upstream, but you here are good guys, I think you can help me post a bug or something.

Attachments

• bhyve.PNG
    bhyve.PNG
    58.7 KB · Views: 779

KrisBee

Wizard
This looks like a bhyve problem. Ubuntu 18 LTS is just out and is based on kernel 4.15. An EFI aware server LiveCD doesn't get beyond the grub screen, the boot dies with irq handler errors. A release upgrade of a working Ubuntu 17 VM takes it from kernel 4.13 to kernel 4.15 and ends in the same result. On re-booting it hangs with a "no irq handler" error.

pyrojoe34

Cadet
Here is the screen I get when trying to install 18.04

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 511

Moksh Mridul

Dabbler
Im having the same issue here as KrisBee and the rest of you guys. Any known workarounds or fixes for this?

KrisBee

Wizard
I just ran into this issue after upgrading my Ubuntu VM from 17.10 to the 18.04 LTS release. For me the hang always occurred after the following message: "clocksource: Switched to clocksource tsc". That sent me down a bit of a rabbit hole with trying different clocksource options (and virtIO vs HVM drivers, etc). Eventually I discovered that a 4.13 kernel worked which led me here. In case anyone else ends up here, it seems that the bhyve update to fix this issue is being tracked by the following FreeNAS bug:

26708 Fix UEFI boot menu to allow Linux kernels 4.15 and higher to boot properly in bhyve VMs
https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/26708

and has already been integrated into the nightly builds and should be in the 11.2-BETA1 release. Unfortunately I'm running the 11.1 STABLE builds (currently 11.1-U5) and it doesn't seem like this is slated for back port to 11.1, so I'll be eagerly waiting for 11.2 to be released. :)

Lothian

Dabbler
When I looked at the GRUB boot, there was an option to use "Ubuntu, with Linux 4.4.0-133-generic". This loaded, but I am new at this so I have no idea what the implications of this are. But I am running Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS. After some problems with how Samba mounts the FreeNAS shares, my Plex media server runs perfectly. I recommend you get Grub Customizer to make the adjustments. Just move the menu option you want to the top and things should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.