Linux 64-bit jail for Crashplan in FreeNAS 9.10 (or FreeBSD 10.3)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris123

Dabbler
Due to the limitation of 32-bit Linux jails (= max 4Gb RAM) in FreeNAS 9.3 (and earlier versions) I have been forced to run Crashplan in a 64-bit Linux VM via phpVirtualBox. (I have 25TB archive backed up to Crashplan, and 4Gb is just not enough). Now with the added 64-bit Linux emulation support in FreeBSD 10.3-RELEASE (and presumably also FreeNAS 9.10) I'm hoping to eventually move Crashplan to a jail.

Could anyone point me in the right direction on how to create a Linux 64-bit jail? Since there are no templates for such in FreeNAS yet I assume it has to be created from scratch. I've been trying to look for some FreeBSD guides, but without success.

styno

Patron
A Virtualbox VM with Linux & the Crashplan software idd just works for me...

Chris123

Dabbler
I'm using VirtualBox VM with crashplan now as well, but my main issue is that I have to allocate 16Gb (of 32gb) ram for the crashplan VM, and when backup is not running the ram is still allocated by the VM. The other issue I have is that inotify doesn't work on VBox shared folders, so can't use 'real-time' backup but instead have to do 'verify selection' in order for crashplan to see the new/updated files, which practically means 1 backup/day.

Not very familiar with iohyve, but I will try it out. Is this meant as a replacement for jails going forward in FreeBSD/-NAS?

katit

Contributor
Any update on this? I'm running into same issue. I did use Crashplan plugin, now it quit working (won't update). I dropped it, was thinking about VirtualBox for a second and it looks like it won't work on latest FreeNas.

Now I really need to fix backups and started to look further and it was "aha" moment - I just need to have Linux jail and install everything as per Crashplan instructions. But I can't run 64bit Linux jails? And I can't figure out how to install/create "LINUX" jail. I can't find any info, but WHAT KIND of jail is created by default when you "create jail" in FreeNAS gui?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Support for Linux jails was dropped some time ago. If you need Linux you'll have to install it in a VM.

katit

Contributor
Status
Not open for further replies.