LetsEncrypt certs instead of self-signed

Inxsible

Guru
When I first installed FreeNAS, I used self-signed certs. I am planning on migrating to SSL certs from LetsEncrypt and just wanted to confirm 1 thing.
FreeNAS has it's own self-define CAs & Certificates when using self-signed and it also allows the setup of ACME DNS within the WebUI. Is this the only recommended way to set up SSL?

I already have a separate proxmox box with a container running caddy2 as a reverse proxy and it handles SSL for a bunch of my services. I was wondering if I can use the same reverse proxy to setup SSL certs for my FreeNAS box as well and also the jails within FreeNAS -- if that's possible.

Thanks,

Last edited:

Inxsible

Guru
Refer to this post...

Inxsible

Guru
So my goal was to only not have a browser error when getting to the login page for FreeNAS. I was able to do that by using my caddy container as a reverse proxy to the FreeNAS url. Works like a charm.

I tried the same thing with my Proxmox and the pfSense URLs and they failed. So my presumption is that Proxmox and pfSense require the SSL certs to be within their own system/location for it to be able to use it for the login page whereas FreeNAS doesn't have that hard requirement.

I still have the self signed certs within FreeNAS because I was afraid to just delete them -- but at least when I get to the FreeNAS login page, it shows me the LetsEncrypt certificate.

The internal certs might still be used by FreeNAS for it's own secure connections etc and to use a trusted CA there like LetsEncrypt we might still have to use the in-built ACME script -- but for now, that's not something that I am concerned about.

danb35

Hall of Famer
The internal certs might still be used by FreeNAS for it's own secure connections etc
It isn't.
to use a trusted CA there like LetsEncrypt we might still have to use the in-built ACME script
You don't.

And both pfSense and Proxmox are entirely capable of obtaining their own certs from Let's Encrypt, which I'd recommend.

Inxsible

Guru
It isn't.

You don't.

And both pfSense and Proxmox are entirely capable of obtaining their own certs from Let's Encrypt, which I'd recommend.
Thanks @danb35. That would mean I can delete the self signed certs that I had created when I first installed FreeNAS without issue.

As for pfSense and Proxmox -- you mean that I should use their internal ACME.sh mechanism to set up the LetsEncrypt certs and not use a caddy server as reverse proxy, correct?

danb35

Hall of Famer
you mean that I should use their internal ACME.sh mechanism to set up the LetsEncrypt certs and not use a caddy server as reverse proxy, correct?
That's what I'd do. I wouldn't use a reverse proxy for the sole purpose of providing TLS termination for services that are perfectly capable of doing it on their own and managing their own certificates. That may not be the best-informed opinion, but that's how I'd do it.

Inxsible

Guru
That's what I'd do. I wouldn't use a reverse proxy for the sole purpose of providing TLS termination for services that are perfectly capable of doing it on their own and managing their own certificates. That may not be the best-informed opinion, but that's how I'd do it.
Makes sense. I was just trying it out via the reverse proxy, because I already had one and it was already managing the TLS for a bunch of other services. I thought it would be easier to manage/fix in one place, rather than going to 4-5 different places to fix anything -- freenas, proxmox, pfsense etc.