LDAP vs AD

Which do you prefer

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bkomnimon

Cadet
I've seen some post people using LDAP in these forum and some using AD.

Why do you choose which and have you ever switched trying out both in the same/similar environment to see performance difference /quarks?

I been wanting to set up a virtual machine with LDAP but couldn't find alot of material/ guide ...that I could understand easily. Sadly I'm lacking in the Linux department I had two classes is all everything else was windows focused. So if you have some sort of guide or what to help me understand the set up it would be greatly appreciated! :)

Have a nice day/ night.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Here's a good summary:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/663402/what-are-the-differences-between-ldap-and-active-directory

You will not see any "performance difference" for any small network. Authentication and directory services should be extremely lightweight. Samba recently added support for being a primary AD. After the train wreck of configuring Samba as an NT4 PDC (admittedly back when that was new more than a decade ago) I was pretty shocked to find that it went very smoothly. There are a few LDAP servers available as well. If you have to work with a lot of Windows, then look at AD. If not, LDAP will probably be easier.

Bkomnimon

Cadet
Here's a good summary:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/663402/what-are-the-differences-between-ldap-and-active-directory

You will not see any "performance difference" for any small network. Authentication and directory services should be extremely lightweight. Samba recently added support for being a primary AD. After the train wreck of configuring Samba as an NT4 PDC (admittedly back when that was new more than a decade ago) I was pretty shocked to find that it went very smoothly. There are a few LDAP servers available as well. If you have to work with a lot of Windows, then look at AD. If not, LDAP will probably be easier.

Yeah I've done work with Windows but I'd like to learn how set up on Linux saw few chose Cent OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.