Status
Not open for further replies.

wires

Cadet
Greetings!

In the many years since I gave up on Windows NT servers it's been a progression of Linux based solutions. Netwinder, Cobalt and lately SME. Much more good than bad!

With W10's 1803 update I have had to start looking to move from NT style domains to AD. From my reading here I see that some don't think domains are needed but I have found too much pain in authentications for networks past 5-6 machines. Besides, roaming profiles are very useful when a machine goes down and a new one must be spun up from an image. So unless someone has some magic that simplifies the notion of 5 users X 5 machines + 1 server = 30 passwords that have to be kept in sync I don't have much patience for non-win admins telling me I don't need a domain. I can't imagine running a real business network without centralized authentication. New of fired employee means having to visit all the machines? No thanks...

I found FreeNAS after looking at Synology. Apparently they have AD integrated in many of their offerings. No separate pair of boxes like M$ recommends (and I can't imagine is needed for networks of under 100 where people go home at night) . The attitude at SME (Koozali) and here have a familiar ring. The face cards don't actively manage M$ networks so they don't worry too much about Windows integration. If that is the idea here fine. I'll keep looking. But this looks like a fine project, one I could learn to love IF it was focused on providing modern services to the large installed baser of Windows machines. M$ is killing NT style domains. IMHO if one wants to stay relevant smooth, robust and pain free AD support is a must going forward.

What is my best option?

Move on and forget about FreeNAS?

Get a Synology DS218+ and see if it's as easy as it looks?

Set up a Samba AD server for now and hope FreeNAS gets with the program as I see it?

wires

Cadet
Thank you! I got to 9.1 in that document and coupled with my other reading stopped! 11.3 is much more in line with what I I am looking for!

I have the FreeNAS 11.1 iso downloaded and am going to move along with trying this out. The documentation looks great. Your reply was 100% on point and maybe I have found a new home for my quarterly donations!

Status
Not open for further replies.