LAGG + VLAN isolates FreeNAS from iohyve VM

Status
Not open for further replies.

taupehat

Explorer
This setup worked fine with a single interface and no VLAN. Current setup is like this:
FreeNAS vlan10: 172.16.0.5/24
VM vlan10: 172.16.0.6/24
Some random other host: 172.16.0.10/24
lagg0 no IP up
LAGG shows happy on both ends of the connection, both 10GB ports are in the group.
Routing table is correct. There is no gateway in this VLAN.

Now: FreeNAS and VM can both ping 172.16.0.10, and 172.16.0.10 can ping them both.
FreeNAS and VM can not in any way communicate with each other.

I suspect this is a bug somewhere in the bridge, but don't have any indications in syslog or elsewhere to see what's going on.

So far I've tried adding and removing a fake gateway, setting static routes on both boxes, and recreating the VLAN interfaces. Nothing has worked.

I intend to try configuring the lagg to access vlan 10 instead, but need to wait for the network folks to get back as the switches are theirs to config. In the meantime, what else can I try?

taupehat

Explorer
Confirmed this is a bug. Took the LAGG out of trunk and made it access vlan 10 instead, and now packets traverse between the FreeNAS box and the iohyve VM.

D

dlavigne

When you create the bug report at bugs.freenas.org, post the issue number here.

taupehat

Explorer
So I'm at "iohyve unsupported" on the bug. Given that, does anyone here know of a good non-official workaround? I really need to have VLANs on this interface.

mav@

iXsystems
iXsystems
As a workaround, I'd recommend you to try disabling txcsum, tso and lro capabilities on physical interfaces participating in LAGG.

taupehat

Explorer
Good call. Any way to enable that at boot? I tried setting "ifconfig_ix4" = "-txcsum -tso -lro" (and ix5) as tunables, and wound up having to use sqlite to remove those entries as the network would not come up at boot.

mav@

iXsystems
iXsystems
IIRC interface configuration in WebUI has field to specify arbitrary interface options. And to revert to old configuration if something go wrong there are always a boot environments.

Status
Not open for further replies.