LAGG setup like the chicken and the egg

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 NICs

"Before creating a link aggregation, double-check that no interfaces have been manually configured in Network → Interfaces → View Interfaces. If any configured interfaces exist, delete them as lagg creation will fail if any interfaces are manually configured."

Then do I need more than 2 NICs to do setup? When interfaces are deleted, there is no way to use the GUI

I was able to get this working primarily with ifconfig from the shell, but kept losing settings on reboot. Tried editing rc.conf but that wasn't persistent. Finally got it up with ifconfig, and then back to the GUI to add IP address to lagg there also, and then settings worked after reboot. It wouldn't work trying to add IP or add interfaces to lagg through gui. All OK now, and traffic is flowing across both interfaces. The docs are lacking in this area.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You could create an account on the FreeNAS wiki and add some instructions, or a forum thread in the "How-To" section on how to do it.

This was applicable to FEC type lagg didn't test any other lagg options.

Basically, start with an IP on an interface to get into GUI, then create lagg(x) interface in GUI which blows away the IP so GUI is no longer accessible. Then set IP on lagg(x) interface with ifconfig from the shell, then go back into GUI and input the same IP for the lagg(x) interface (it will be blank in the GUI until put back in there and the ifconfig settings won't survive reboot). Then add other interfaces to the lagg in the GUI.

ifconfig Lagg(X) 172.16.25.125
where X is lagg interface number, and substitute your ip address

D

dlavigne

That requires a bug report to be created at support.freenas.org which details what is wrong, along with any error messages.

That requires a bug report to be created at support.freenas.org which details what is wrong, along with any error messages.
Well now the server is having problems booting, hanging at different places each time, I'm wondering if the USB flash which was installed inside the server is overheating? I'll try booting cold today, if it comes up I guess that was the problem, anyhow if I have to rebuild everything again I will document all the steps in detail.

S

scotch_tape

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut at rutrum mauris, a bibendum nisl. Cum sociis natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Duis gravida odio in eros porta porttitor. Proin ornare tincidunt mattis. Vestibulum vel nisl dignissim, consectetur felis sed, tristique augue. Nulla semper elit nec sem pulvinar, non convallis velit tincidunt. Nam egestas accumsan quam. Mauris efficitur nisi eget tellus suscipit, vitae posuere lacus suscipit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to know scotch tape.

I found it can be partially setup through the GUI on initial install with both NICs setup with DHCP, the interfaces appear as not configured in the GUI. Then the lagg can be created, the IP address can be set and then connection to the GUI is lost until reboot. Then after reboot, the gateway can be set through the console menu to match the subnet for the lagg interface, the switch can be setup to use the lagg and then one can get back into the GUI from the lagg interface IP. I'm not sure what happens if using DHCP on the lagg but this worked with a manually set IP. This is on 8.3.1 for sure and maybe with 9.1.

But on 9.1 I only tried it once, and then when I created a zfs volume the system rebooted by itself and I couldn't get into the GUI at all even though I was able to ping the server so I quickly gave up on 9.1 and went back to 8.3.1.

MenacingM

Dabbler
Ok so I got LAGG/LACP working (combination of command shell, console, and GUI) but I can't get my MTU settings to stick. I am using dual Realtek RTL8111C onboard NICs on my Gigabyte Ep45-UD3P mobo.

I set the MTU on the NICs to the max MTU they will accept, which is 6122. Then I create the lacp/lagg connection and I can see that it has an MTU of 6122 from the console shell. But these settings do not survive a reboot. The LACP/LAGG connection and it's IP settings persist, but not the MTU. :mad:

NIC info below:

--
re0@pci0:6:0:0: class=0x020000 card=0xe0001458 chip=0x816810ec rev=0x02 hdr=0x00
vendor = 'Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.'
device = 'RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller'
class = network
--
re1@pci0:7:0:0: class=0x020000 card=0xe0001458 chip=0x816810ec rev=0x02 hdr=0x00
vendor = 'Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.'
device = 'RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller'
class = network

Status
Not open for further replies.