lagg never comes online

Status
Not open for further replies.

tubaguy

Cadet
Before posting I tried to do my homework, so hopefully this is both not overwhelming, yet not totally newbish...

I am trying to create a link aggregation with 4 1 Gbps interfaces going to a Unifi 24 port switch. In my switch I can see that the ports are seen as "up" and negotiated at 1 Gbps. I configured the four ports as an LACP aggregation on the switch and then went to FreeNAS.

igb0 is a DHCP interface that I'm using to manage FreeNAS. em[0-2] are add in cards, and igb1 is a mobo built in interface.

Here's ifconfig before creating the aggregation:

jfUnmYH.png

And /var/log/messages before the aggregation (not sure if these are relevant or not):
eObP5X9.png

Here's ifconfig after I created the aggregation:

9yaXFST.png

/var/log/messages spit out a bunch of stuff at this point that I copied to this gist. I then added a static IP address to the aggregation, and here are more lines from /var/log/messages after that.

Here's what my aggregation edit looks like, as well as my lagg members page.

After all that, under interfaces my lagg media status is Down and I'm unable to ping the static IP address I set.

I'm completely new to FreeBSD and not super familiar with link aggregation in Linux either. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if I can provide any further information to help.

D

dlavigne

To clarify, did you reboot the FreeNAS box after configuring the lagg?

D

dlavigne

Hmm, everything looks correct. What does ifconfig look like after setting the static IP in the GUI after a reboot? Does that change if you manually ifconfig lagg0 192.168.1.6 ?

m0nkey_

MVP
I don't see an IP address assigned to lagg0.

In the console, suggest you reset the network configuration (not the lagg0 device)

Code:
1) Configure Network Interfaces

Let it completely reset, get a DHCP address (if available) then reboot. Once it's back up, reconfigure the network interface again via the console and reboot again.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'm going to bet that your Unifi switch is not configured to allow LACP. Many switches have a setting to enable lagg, and then another setting for LACP specifically. You need to set them both appropriately.

tubaguy

Cadet
I'm going to bet that your Unifi switch is not configured to allow LACP. Many switches have a setting to enable lagg, and then another setting for LACP specifically. You need to set them both appropriately.
I'm not disagreeing with you, it's certainly possible. But I followed their documentation for LACP and had a support rep verify my configuration before posting on here.

I'll see if I can't find something deeper than the GUI

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Its also possible that your member NICs don't like doing the cross NIC lagg/LACP. This does happen, which is why we generally recommend sticking to lagg teams where all members are actually on the same NIC unless you've got 1st hand knowledge that you can do the different NICs on the same lagg team.

tubaguy

Cadet
I tried adding one of the extra ports from my motherboard plus three additional NICs (all the same but not matching the built-in motherboard NIC). I'll try just the three, since I already have them.

Looking at the hardware recommendations in your sig, are there recommended NICs? Looking at an Intel I350-T4V2.

c32767a

Patron
I tried adding one of the extra ports from my motherboard plus three additional NICs (all the same but not matching the built-in motherboard NIC). I'll try just the three, since I already have them.

Looking at the hardware recommendations in your sig, are there recommended NICs? Looking at an Intel I350-T4V2.

There may be problems with the LAGG setup, but in the last messages file you pasted, it shows ibge0 with an IP of 192.168.1.3 and lagg0 with an IP of 192.168.1.6. I'm not sure you want 2 interfaces configured "up" and on the same IP subnet.

I would go back and scrub the configuration. Can you put a clean copy of freenas on another machine, just to test the networking? There may be bad config info lurking somewhere under the covers. I've had bad luck with making substantial changes to networking configurations with 9.3, particularly with moving IPs from one interface to another. Maybe you're stumbling across a bug or undocumented feature..

mlanner

Dabbler
@tubaguy Did you ever get this solved? I have the exact same problem with the exact same setup. I ran this FreeNAS server for at least a year before with a 4-NIC LAGG in LACP. Now I've moved the NAS to a new location, put it behind the Ubiquiti switch. The only other difference is now, other than the Ubiquity switch, is that I'm trying to change the IP address of the LAGG. But it's not working. I've tried deleting it, recreating it, dropping it all together. Nothing seems to work. I have regular Linux boxes in the same environment behind the same switch in which my LACP works, so this definitely seems to be a FreeNAS issue. Any ideas or clues you might have are certainly welcome. Thanks in advance.

tubaguy

Cadet
I did not. I sort of accepted this as my fate:
Its also possible that your member NICs don't like doing the cross NIC lagg/LACP. This does happen, which is why we generally recommend sticking to lagg teams where all members are actually on the same NIC unless you've got 1st hand knowledge that you can do the different NICs on the same lagg team.

Status
Not open for further replies.