SOLVED LAGG Physcial NIC: missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phe0nix

Explorer
While setting up LAG on FreeNAS 9.3 i'm at the section where you select your newly created link aggregation and highlight it and select "Add Link aggregation member " and the field "LAGG Physcial NIC" should be prefilled but the box is empty and so i can't select anything nor add the value i need there.
After creating my LAG I did restart FreeNAS and then Configured it for IPV4 ( 192.168.1.23/24 ) and rebooted again and still have no value in the box .

Thanks

LAGG.jpg

Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You can only have 1 LAGG number per NIC. At least, I'm pretty sure I'm correct. :P

Phe0nix

Explorer

Phe0nix

Explorer
Correct i only have Two. I am not trying to add any more interfaces i'm selecting the only interface i have added under the "link aggregation" tab and selecting "edit members" and then the "add link aggregation member" button and that is the final step to the process. If you have
time to jump into that video ( 6:37 play for 10 sec ) i linked to you will see what i''m trying to do.

In the link you provided it covers the area that's not working in my install in Figure 7.4c: Editing a Member Interface.

thanks

Last edited:

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
but you only have 2 nics. you're done. stop trying to follow a video that is over a year old on an old version of FreeNAS. Follow the documentation provided for your version and create your LAGG

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Correct i only have Two. I am not trying to add any more interfaces i'm selecting the only interface i have added under the "link aggregation" tab and selecting "edit members" and then the "add link aggregation member" button and that is the final step to the process. If you have
time to jump into that video ( 6:37 play for 10 sec ) i linked to you will see what i''m trying to do.

In the link you provided it covers the area that's not working in my install in Figure 7.4c: Editing a Member Interface.

thanks
in your screenshot you are trying to ADD an interface. In the screenshot in docs, it is EDITING a CURRENT LAGG

Phe0nix

Explorer
but you only have 2 nics. you're done

I was attempting to create an alias and i suppose it wasn't necessary for my configuration. From running systat -ifstat from the shell seems it's set correctly. When FreeNAS boots instead of getting multiple IP's to connect with i'm only getting the static ip for the LAG now. Thanks pirateghost ;), seems i'm in need of a networking class.

Last edited:

Phe0nix

Explorer
That's a good question. I wanted to be certain i could stream HD content to 4 tv's simultaneously . Read that gaming and streaming HD content would benefit from LAG

Does your network switch support LAGG?

Phe0nix

Explorer
Yes , it's a netgear GS108T-200NAS ( smart switch )

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
That's a good question. I wanted to be certain i could stream HD content to 4 tv's simultaneously . Read that gaming and streaming HD content would benefit from LAG
Well, I'm willing to bet you dont need LAGG for that small amount of data, and you don't game from your nas. So... If you ever need an extra port, know that you can break the LAGG and not affect performance... [emoji6]

cyberjock

Inactive Account

That's not going to see a benefit with LAGG. In fact, you might be creating new problems for yourself if your network infrastructure doesn't support LAGG. Our thumbrule is 10 client machines. Unless you plan to have 10 desktops or more in your home, you shouldn't do LAGG. Generally if you are doing that many you've done LAGG before and you've got one of those 24 port+ managed switches and LAGG is something you've done many many times and could do it in your sleep.

I won't be surprised if in 1 month (or maybe less) you've got a post asking why your network behaves so erratically and you can't figure out why (hint: It'll be the LAGG). I don't even run LAGG in my house and I have a total of 8 devices. ;)

Osiris

Contributor
Out of extreme interest...
I see Cyberjock disapproves of you bonding your NICs for this purpose and I'm quite curious about this, since I was about to start such a setup.

I'm assuming you're nas has lagg/bond/rain setup and so do your equivalent ports on your switch.
I see a Gbit switch & I assume Gbit NICs in your nas device.

Is your setup active already ?
Can I quickly ask what kind of throughput you're hitting ?
Are you measuring your traffic when streaming to those 4 tvs simultaniously ?
Are you capping your traffic on your switch on each of those 4 ports ? If so, to how much ?

I'm setting up my nas devices using lagg/bond/rain (damn the alternating terminology) on my switch (Cisco SG300-52).
Well ... I was about to ...
But now I read about a downside & erratic network behaviour.
Could you elaborate on that a bit or point me somewhere for an explanation of your view ?

Phe0nix

Explorer
Sorry for the late response, just started night shift and have been working 12 hours shifts. Yes my NAS has Gbit NIC's and at the time of your post my system was actively running LAG. After setting up LAG
all i needed to do define my gateway within FreeNAS and everything ran great for about two days then i began to have issues connecting to my IPMI ( not via the dedicated port ) and Plex media server and I so played with the settings a bit and then just decided to remove LAG all together ( Cyberjock was spot on ) as I see no benefit in running it. I didn't take any measurements so sorry that i can't help you with that. All I can tell you is that
my file transfer speeds are 110 MB/s over Cat 6 and i can steam to 4 TV's simultaniously ( 1 TV was transcoding ) without a problem without LAG.

FNSeeker

Dabbler
The postings above remind me of what I was doing when I first set up FreeNAS: bonding of 4 NICs on my Supermicro A1SAi-2750f with my Netgear GS724T.

Short answer: Instead of LAG, I dedicate each IP address to a particular need. I got the same desired result.

A good analogy is roads. Combining the four 'roads' into one does not make a car go any faster than it physically can. All it does is reducing potential traffic congestion by utilizing all available roads for traffic flowing in both directions.

In the end, I mapped out specific needs based on demand of devices and assigned them to a specific IP (i.e. route in this case). This approach does not force the Supermicro CPU to take on extra duties of a cop in directing network traffic, especially at peak times. This may stretch its computing power when required by Plex transcoding for example. Cons: this approach is not 100% efficient due to lack of potential traffic diversion as the case under LAG.

My two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.