SOLVED LAG "{IP} is already in use by another interface"

iVhksqJjo

Dabbler
I have a test server where I succesfully setup LAG, however on my main server, I get an error saying "192.168.1.0/24 is already in use by another interface" despite me inputting a different IP, like 192.168.1.3 or 192.168.1.99.

On the image, the left is my main server with the errors and the right is my test server where LAG is working.

truenas lag.png

The test server is running 22.12.0 (because of the still present CDN update issue) whereas the main server is running 22.12.1.
Any ideas?

iVhksqJjo

Dabbler
Argh, found it.
A different interface had a completely different static IP. Removing that and turning on DHCP for that interface solved the issue.
But man those errors are poop. Having a static IP on 10.x.x.x somehow results in an error telling me 192.168.1.0 is in use...

-jim

Cadet
This is a bug and a negative impact feature.

There is no "real" logic as to why you could not have two NICs bound to the the same network.
In my case I wanted to kubernetes ingress on one NIC and keep the TrueNAS scale UI on the other.

Further, the error is not displayed to the user through the UI so the user has no idea what is happening.
Below shows the output from the Chrome developer tools:

2bfb45-452d-97dc-022a-63069f4d4c1c {error: 11, errname: 'EAGAIN', type: 'VALIDATION', reason: '[EINVAL] interface_update.aliases.0: The network 1….68.0/24 is already in use by another interface.\n', trace: {…}, …}errname: "EAGAIN"error: 11extra: [Array(3)]reason: "[EINVAL] interface_update.aliases.0: The network 192.168.68.0/24 is already in use by another interface.\n"trace: {class: 'ValidationErrors', frames: Array(8), formatted: 'Traceback (most recent call last):\n File "/usr/li…68.0/24 is already in use by another interface.\n\n', repr: 'ValidationErrors()'}type: "VALIDATION"[[Prototype]]: Object onmessage @ ws.service.ts:136 st @ zone.js:763 value @ zone.js:406 onInvokeTask @ core.mjs:26261 value @ zone.js:405 value @ zone.js:178 value @ zone.js:487 N @ zone.js:1600 B @ zone.js:1626 Show 8 more frames Show less

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
There is no "real" logic as to why you could not have two NICs bound to the the same network.
There is. Please read some textbook on networking. While one could argue that in theory you are right, every Unix like system out there uses the socket API and the same fundamental routing mechanisms and therefore you cannot.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Technically, it can be forced to happen, but:

NickF

Guru
Fade in from black.

It's a bright, sunny day in a quaint small town nestled in the hills. We focus in on a charming house nestled between towering trees, the sun filtering through the leaves creating a play of shadows on the house front. The house, our protagonist in this tale, is unique - it has a front door and a side door.

The front door, traditionally used and known by everyone in town, has a well-trodden path leading to it and a mailbox proudly perched on a stand next to it. The side door, less used but equally important, has its own mailbox, a testament to its potential as a worthy recipient of mail.

The town postman, a sprightly character in his mid-fifties, always in a jovial mood, begins his daily route. In his bag are letters from all around the town, each representing data packets in the world of computers. He pedals his traditional bicycle down the winding lanes, whistling a merry tune, and delivering mail to each house, each building, the perfect embodiment of a network working flawlessly.

Our house has decided it wants to use both its front door and side door to receive letters. An unusual request, but it wants to utilize both its doors. So, the postman is given new instructions - to alternate between the two doors, not a task he is used to.

For a few days, everything runs smoothly. The postman delivers to the front door one day, the side door the next. But slowly, he starts to get a bit confused. He finds himself stopping at our house longer, thinking hard - "Was it the front door today or the side?" This small delay starts to affect his routine, his jovial whistling a bit less frequent.

One day, as he is about to put mail into the side door's mailbox, a neighbor shouts out, "Hey, isn't it the front door today?" The postman hesitates, second-guessing himself. The letters, like data packets, could end up at the wrong door.

As the screen fades to black, the message resonates – in a network, as in this small town, simplicity and clarity must prevail over unnecessary complexity. Only then can the system function seamlessly, the postman whistle his merry tune, and the town regain its tranquility.

End scene. The credits roll, leaving the audience with a foreboding warning about the dangers of needless complexity.

Fade in from black.

As dawn breaks, we're back in the idyllic town that we've come to know well. The air is fresh with morning dew, the streets are quiet. The camera pans slowly over our unique house with its front door, side door, and now, a new side gate.

The postman, our faithful character, is already on his bicycle, his bag filled with letters for the day. He pedals along his route, a song softly hummed under his breath, his destination clear - the front door of our unique house.

Simultaneously, a vibrant red truck makes its way through a different route. The newspaper carrier, a dynamic young woman with a spirit as vibrant as her truck, is on her duty to deliver the newspapers. Her destination - the side gate of our unique house.

Both the postman and the newspaper carrier are operating on different routes, akin to different network interfaces operating on different VLANs. Each has their own set of houses, their own paths, their own duties, and neither interferes with the other. It's a harmonious coexistence, a well-oiled system at play.

As the morning sun bathes the town in a golden glow, the postman delivers the mail to the front door and the newspaper carrier places the newspaper neatly at the side gate. Two different interfaces receiving information as per their assigned roles, the network working seamlessly.

But the story doesn't end here. As we look at our town, we see other characters, other elements coming into play. Like an ever-growing network, our town too is expanding, getting more complex.

We see an oil man, symbolizing another network interface, delivering oil to a specific part of the house – the back door. There's a gardener, yet another network interface, who only tends to the garden. An electrician who checks the wires running along the side wall. A plumber who only works in the basement.

All of these characters, each representing a different network interface, operate in their own VLAN - their own paths, their own duties. Just like the postman and the newspaper carrier, they too work harmoniously without interfering with each other.

As we see our town function seamlessly with all these characters at play, we realize the beauty and potential of a complex network system. Each interface, each VLAN, serves a unique purpose, and with clear communication and planning, they can coexist without causing disruptions.

End scene. The town basks in the soft glow of the setting sun, the harmony of its network a sight to behold. The credits roll, painting a picture of the vast possibilities of networking. It leaves us with a sense of optimism - with careful planning and coordination, even the most complex network can function like a well-oiled machine.

Last edited: