L2ARC vs Fusion pool

2fanatyk2

Dabbler
Hi,

First of all I've been using forum for over 3 years - but this is my first post, since I really try to do my research before posting new threads. Thanks to all of you for valuable insights and sharing knowledge!

My question is the following: I have 2 sata ssd's (~500MB/s read speed, ~300 MB/s write speed, 256gb and 128gb drives) that I'd like to improve performance of my main server (setup in description). Here's what I'm considering:

Option 1: Just put one or 2 of them as L2arc stripe
Option 2: Mirror them as metadata / small file storage in existing pool (Fusion pool)

In both cases I'd attach each to it's own SATA 6gbps port directly on mainboard.

In your opinion what would give me better results? My usage case is as follows:

I mostly care about video editing performance. Currently in my workflow I dump ~40-50 GB of new video files on the server and edit it straight away. Out of that ~15-20GB are files that end up in final video and I keep working with them, and rest are bad takes - I just watch them once or twice, but they are not used much after that. I guess due to size of my ARC most of project files should end up in RAM and be served straight from there.

Also mind that while the workload seems to be sequential, there are functionalities of my software that run on all project files at once and read just tiny bits of it (e.g. to generate media thumbnails / audio waveforms). Speed of these processes is important to me as well. Usually I have 50-120 files in each project.

However some projects I work with are much bigger, and in their case "hot data" may be in excess of 80GB. I also open older projects to re-use some of the footage/animations, and due to that I guess some additional unnecessary files may be loaded to L2arc in the process taking up space. I do experience occasional lag while working, that I'd like to eliminate. I guess increasing L2arc would help in that case (and increasing it's fill-rate to e.g. 100-200MB/s, I'm not that concerned with SSD longetivity since I don't edit all the time and from my calculation it should be fine for at least 5-6 years). There's also higher chance that when I have a break waiting for customer feedback for 5-6 days, the project will still be in L2arc and will work better when I get back to it, especially for media thumbnail generation I mentioned.

I believe in that case increasing RAM wouldn't help much, since it already fits majority of "RED-HOT" files, and I'm more concerned with "fairly warm" files - so I'm happy to sacrifice some "max performance" for having "high performance" more often. L2arc size in that case would be ~240GB (twice size of smaller drive).

There's also one more consideration. My editing software (Davinci Resolve) creates it's own "Disk database" with all project information - just a bunch of files organized in folder structure. Since it auto-save every 5-minutes, I want those saves to be as quick as possible, since it stutters software for a couple of seconds. Currently my main database is ~1.5GB, and average file size is ~1.5MB. Here to my best understanding ZIL will not help at all (async writes), and I guess L2arc will not help either (I believe it is for reads only).

And here come the Fusion pools. My thinking is the following:

Metadata on SSD improves access time to video file on HDD's. That would help with responsiveness for files, that are not yet in ARC. It would also help with medie thumbnails generation, since access to each file would be faster. It would also help with directory listing speed, which also helps quite a bit.

Also what I'd do is setting it up small file storage on SSD's as well - to accelerate opening&saving project files in my editing software - as far as I understand that is doable with fusion pools. Since average project size is 1.5MB, I'd set it to store files smaller than 2MB. Majority of project files should fall into that category.

Currently I have 1 014 837 files on my NAS taking up ~12TB. Out of that I can eliminate large video files, photos (mostly>3MB) what leaves me at ~870000 files and ~1.8TB (average size: 2,2MB). A lot of those are 3-7MB photographs

Assuming 1/2 of those files is under 256kB, 1/4 of those files is under 256kB, another 1/6 of them under 1 MB, and 1/8 under 2 MB it adds up to ~460 GB of data eligible for SSD storage as of now. I'm not planning to re-create data, so old data wouldn't go to SSD storage immediately, but rather new files would start filling it up. However considering planned server storage will be twice current and at some point I will most likely recreate the pool from backup (e.g. while adding new vdev), I need to take it under consideration and plan for ~1TB per 24TB of HDD storage (after RAIDZ2 "losses").

So while for current usage I can just mirror 2 ssd's I have currently (giving me ~120GB of storage), I have to plan for exchanging them for 500GB-1TB drives in not-so-far future, which becomes fairly costly. Or decrease max file size, what would not help that much with my editing software saves&loads, but I guess would make system snappier thanks to metadata storage on SSD.

Sorry for long analysis, but I hope on one hand it explains situation fairly well, on the other gives some food for thought to people considering Fusion / metadata pools. What I believe would be even more beneficial is the discussion that (hopefully) will emerge below.

Final question to those experienced with L2arc and/or Fusion pools: Is my thinking solid, or did I miss any important factors? What real impact I can expect in both scenarios and which one would you choose: L2arc or Fusion? How do you define SSD vdev size compared to HDD storage and what file size limit did you set? What is your actual SSD vdev usage?

Or maybe do you suggest SSD vdev of 2x120GB SSD drives + 250GB SSD L2arc? But wouldn't single SSD L2arc device slow down max throughput of the pool (SSD max speed ~500MB/s, while pool delivers ~800MB/s)?

From my side if there's anybody with similar use case - I'm more than happy to share my experiences, although I'm certainly not a pro in this area :smile:

Last edited:

2fanatyk2

Dabbler
Sorry for some typos - didn't notice them and it seems I can't edit the post (maybe due to being new to the forum). I believe it's understandable nevertheless.

2fanatyk2

Dabbler
Update: on editing software (Davinci resolve) project files. Sadly after going a bit more into it it seems, that project file sizes (the "disk database" files) are rather 10-15MB size, so I believe it rules out metadata+small files fusion pool setup. If I was to set all files >15MB to be stored there, the size of required SSD's would be impractical. Therefore for my use case I'd set it as "metadata + files<0,5MB", so that while project files wouldn't be served from SSD's, it would at least take some burden from HDD's, and would allow me to utilize otherwise wasted SSD space (metadata only would probably take 2-5 GB, maybe 10GB). So is this scenario still worth it from your experience?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
If the performance is determined by reading a large list of files or by being able to quickly re-read the same large volume of files repeatedly, you may see some benefit from either L2ARC with a metadata only setting or by using a metadata VDEV.

If your performance is driven by writing large numbers of small files, the metadata VDEV may help (by making metadata writes a little faster), but a SLOG would probably be of more help (assuming you are hitting a peak IOPS number for only short bursts).

In almost all cases, more RAM is probably going to speed it up.

2fanatyk2

Dabbler
If the performance is determined by reading a large list of files or by being able to quickly re-read the same large volume of files repeatedly, you may see some benefit from either L2ARC with a metadata only setting or by using a metadata VDEV.

If your performance is driven by writing large numbers of small files, the metadata VDEV may help (by making metadata writes a little faster), but a SLOG would probably be of more help (assuming you are hitting a peak IOPS number for only short bursts).

In almost all cases, more RAM is probably going to speed it up.

Hi Sretalla,

Here you touched on a couple of my doubts:
1. SLOG - from my knowledge it is only beneficial for sync writes - and all (or most) of my writes are async. From my current knowledge it would actually hurt performance instead of improving it, would it not?
2. Does ARC actually impact write speeds? I believe it should. But if so, L2ARC (which I believe is mostly similar, only different tier/storage medium) should behave simillary, although what I've read on the forum kind of contradicts it, as everybody says L2ARC improves READ speed, not WRITE speed.

Best regards!

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
SLOG - from my knowledge it is only beneficial for sync writes - and all (or most) of my writes are async. From my current knowledge it would actually hurt performance instead of improving it, would it not?
It certainly can't help with async writes and it can hurt if you then set sync=always (turning your async writes into slower sync ones).

Does ARC actually impact write speeds? I believe it should. But if so, L2ARC (which I believe is mostly similar, only different tier/storage medium) should behave simillary
No, not at all. It's not tiered.

what I've read on the forum kind of contradicts it, as everybody says L2ARC improves READ speed, not WRITE speed.
This is correct (sort-of). Some reads will go faster if they aren't already in ARC and are still in L2ARC... that's no guarantee, but it can help if your working set is bigger than ARC can be.

Tony-1971

Contributor

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
So in your configuration is better to use raidz2 also for metadata special dev.
Not really, it's recommended to have the same level of redundancy (for RAIDZ2, you can lose 2 disks and still be OK), so in this case, a 3-way mirror is actually best.

jenksdrummer

Patron
Everything gets written to ARC then to disk; flushed every 5sec with the intent that they would be large stripes of data to the disk, where spindles perform best (sequential writes). That said it also acts as a read-back buffer, so when a system writes a file and asks to confirm it; arc can kick that back quickly. Large enough ARC and you read/write small amounts of data, it all stays in RAM; with updated writes happening behind the scenes. Also, anything read gets written to ARC as a read cache...

Sync-Writes = ON requires the disks to report back, not ARC, that the data has written. This is much slower; which is why people who want this or consider it critical for data integrity in their environment, will use a SSD of some form to do this. Incoming data to ARC gets also written to SLOG, then when ARC flushes to disk, SLOG data is dumped. A literal high rate of churn and burn; the only time that data is read is if there's is an issue (OS crash, power fail, etc) that requires it.. It will not speed up writes, but it does raise the level of sanity behind those writes.

L2ARC is a read cache; as items age out of ARC, they get shifted to L2ARC, which is ideally a fast SSD; data can be read from there rather than from slower spindles. This does not improve writes speeds; only helps with read speeds for data that was recently accessed or written; depending on the level of churn from ARC aging.

MetavDevs in the default configuration just do metadata. It can do small block IO. Metadata in it's nature is small; so when it comes to sequential writes that spinning disks like, vs random IO that SSDs do well at, metadata is more suited to SSD; to that, small block IO, fits that too; but I'm not a fan of splitting off small block IO unless I have a LOT of SSD to mess with; once you use up your MetadataVDEV; those writes all go back to the slower data vdev (spindles) - so the benefit is lost. It's also not a hot/cold aware, so it's literally the first data that gets written to it will be there until it's deleted.

DedupeVDEV - if you turn on metadata vdevs; along with that will also get dedupe tables allocated to the metadatavdev. If you turn on dedupe, both metadata and dedupe table writes/lookups will happen from the disks assigned. And let me tell ya, dedupe makes disks take a POUNDING. So, you can dedicate devices as dedupe vdev and offload that to more specialized hardware. I do this with a pair of M.2 (Evo 970 Plus, actually) and I see no, zero ,notta performance drop with turning on dedupe. I have a pair of 200GBish Intel DC-series SATA SSDs for metadata.

2fanatyk2

Dabbler
Hi,
If I understand the doc https://www.truenas.com/docs/hub/initial-setup/storage/fusion-pool/

So in your configuration is better to use raidz2 also for metadata special dev.
Best Regards,
Antonio
Thanks Tony,

Not sure I actually agree with this. First of all, main pool is much bigger, therefore more disks that can potentially fail (put very simply and fairly inaccurately: 3/8 is less than 1/2 of the pool :smile:). On top of that SSD resilvering is MUCH faster, and SSD life is mostly dependent on writes, not reads - in my case most of data is written once and not re-written (or re-written like once per year), and only small subset of data is rewritten constantly.

I do get that similar level of vdev safety is required, but it does not necessarily mean same layout/redundancy, as described above. Also, my main server is replicated to backup server every 3 hours during my working hours, so in very unlikely event both SSD's fail at the same time I'm not risking much.

@jendksdrummer - thanks for your reply, some of my doubts are solved now :smile: You also addressed something I've been considering, but after research have decided to give up on - dedupe. Since I have files I re-use in many projects, I have a fair number of duplicates I want to keep. All my reading led me to conclusion, that dedupe affects pool performance heavily, so I gave up on the idea, since it's cheaper and easier to add bigger/new disks, than meet dedupe requirements. However your approach with M.2 drives makes sense. Would you mind sharing, what is your system and what is the read/write performance?

I also wonder, if performance with SATA / SAS 6G connections will be similar, since I don't have M.2 slots, and I don't want to waste PCI-e slot for M.2 adapter. Don't think I'd be doing it in my system anyway, but seriously considering it for backup server.

Currently I'm gravitating towards:
One ssd as L2ARC (250GB one)
One ssd as separate pool only for video editing software's "disk database". No redundancy, just frequent (like every 10-30 minutes) replication to main pool or backup server (all changes I do during working day is probably ~10-20 MB of data, so replication shouldn't take more than 1 second).

However I'm still thinking of metadata vdev, since it would probably speed up searching for footage from older projects.

Last edited:

sretalla