What is the fastest feed rate to L2ARC?

Jyo

Dabbler
Hi,

We have a video editing workflow, will have a large (10+ TB on 4 NVME Gen4 SSDs) L2ARC help? Since video editing involves re-reading the same video file multiple times, is it possible to tune the L2ARC to cache everything that is read in the first read only, so that every read after the first goes from cache and not the pool?

The NVME SSDs have a lot of bandwidth (say 4 of them).. what is the highest rate that one can set for feeding the L2ARC?

Any experiences?

Also do writes that go through ZIL/SLOG also get cached to L2ARC? So that recently written data is also accelerated by read chache?

Arwen

MVP
ZIL & SLOG are for synchronous writes only, so of limited value to most people. I don't know if writes are put into the L2ARC. Does not seem like they would, though the writes could stay in ARC, (aka RAM), for a while. Possibly moving to L2ARC if read, though again I don't know.

In general, you want to maximize your RAM first, before adding a L2ARC. This is because the index to the L2ARC has to reside in RAM. So, too little RAM and too big L2ARC is counter productive.

If you put the video files in a separate ZFS Dataset from any other misc. datasets, you can turn off secondary cache, (aka L2ARC), for every other dataset except your video dataset(s). That would more or less dedicate it to your video files.

I don't have any speed readings for L2ARC, but some speed limitations are network.

Reactions: Jyo

Jyo

Dabbler
ZIL & SLOG are for synchronous writes only, so of limited value to most people. I don't know if writes are put into the L2ARC. Does not seem like they would, though the writes could stay in ARC, (aka RAM), for a while. Possibly moving to L2ARC if read, though again I don't know.

In general, you want to maximize your RAM first, before adding a L2ARC. This is because the index to the L2ARC has to reside in RAM. So, too little RAM and too big L2ARC is counter productive.

If you put the video files in a separate ZFS Dataset from any other misc. datasets, you can turn off secondary cache, (aka L2ARC), for every other dataset except your video dataset(s). That would more or less dedicate it to your video files.

I don't have any speed readings for L2ARC, but some speed limitations are network.

Thanks Arwen, that makes sense. Can keep the L2ARC vdev dedicated to the Working File Share.

Makes sense to consider network speed for feed rates to L2ARC, our clients are connected at 10 GbE to a switch that the Server will connect to at 40 GbE. 40 GbE is 5GB/s theoretically, so I could test it with that feed rate and see if it helps.

Am currently spec'ing the server with 16x16GB DIMMS, the next step up is to 32GB DIMMs, so 512GB total, would that be recommended for an L2ARC in 10s of TBs?

Arwen

MVP
Sorry, I don't have any recommendations on RAM or L2ARC size.

One note, you can have multiple L2ARC devices. L2ARC does not allow multiple devices to be mirrored or RAIDed, so they are striped. This is because in the case of L2ARC they are duplicates of the information in the pool. So on loss of a L2ARC, their is no data loss, just a bit of performance.

Reactions: Jyo

Jyo

Dabbler
Thanks Arwen, yes am actually thinking that is we can have 4-8 fast SSDs then maybe we can increase the feed rate to L2ARC really aggressively, but don't have the system on hand to try it..

sretalla