Known working configurations/software that will demonstrate ECC functionality

diversity

Contributor
Would someone know a combination of, (CPU, Mobo (BIOS version, settings etc) and perhaps as well memory), that is testable for ECC functionality? Most notably ECC injection could be useful as to be able to see if ECC correction and also reporting is working.

I am now using Passmark memtest86 pro 8.4 rc 2 build 1001, because of the ECC error injection functionality, but even though I have support I still can't report a working configuration from them.
I even tell them I am willing to ditch my current AMD minded setup to anything else as long as it demonstrably works.

If one knows of other software then that is great. I just hope to find at least 1 and hopefully more setups (CPU, mobo, test software, possibly memory) that will result in demonstrable ECC functionally then there there is light at the end of the tunnel.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
[Mod response to user reporting own post]

Please do not report your own messages in an attempt to get iX's attention. This forum is primarily managed by the community, and has never been a good way to get the attention of anyone at iXsystems. We have occasionally been lucky enough to have a developer or two poke a head in here, but it is rare. Users crying wolf with the Report mechanism are likely to rack up warnings, so I hope this makes the situation clear.

You can file feature requests through the bug system. Do not hold your breath. The developers aren't sitting around chugging beers and chatting the days away. They are hard at work on features to address the demands of many paying TrueNAS customers, and are focused primarily on the TrueNAS hardware platform that pays their salaries.

In my experience, as I believe I told you recently, you are likely to need to invest in server-grade gear from Supermicro, HP, or Dell if you want this kind of reporting. Most of the other manufacturers who only dabble in servers are taking advantage of their existing non-server-y talent, which doesn't include things such as the integration with IPMI that would be needed for proper ECC reporting. Lots of us have seen bit error reports on the common platforms. Go with Intel Xeon. Go with a common Supermicro board, or non-entry-level HP or Dell system. Look for reports on the forums of MCA errors or IPMI reports. You should be able to identify platforms that support it.

diversity

Contributor
understood!.