Kernel panic and boot problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvand

Dabbler
Also see this in the motherboard event log.
9e7706f00349b9bd60033799bb5bb540.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

dvand

Dabbler
So...

New motherboard came in, I installed it and the system is still unstable. Ouch.

I'm going to see if I can get a new power supply tomorrow. The only thing left after that is a CPU...right?

dvand

Dabbler
Power supply changed.

Machine boots up but crashes every time during usb install.

Noticed cpu temperatures are high. Maybe I messed up reinstalling the cpu. Thermal grease tomorrow and then another round of trouble shooting.

dvand

Dabbler
I have so far changed:

* Mother board
* Power supply
* CPU cooler (while I had the cooler off to install thermal grease I went ahead and added a better cooler)
* rotated 2 new sticks of ram through the ram slots (after 2 days of memtest)

When I get machine to boot up, it consistently hits kernel panic during USB install of the OS or just reboots itself at the same spot.

The only thing left to actually change is the CPU.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Did you replace the boot drive?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

dvand

Dabbler
Actually no. I just ordered a SSD for a boot device.

That being said, the machine still got stuck at POST a few times as I played with it even with no USB drive installed so I wasn't holding out hope it was the boot device. I'll try that next.

dvand

Dabbler
Good news - I have the machine booted and storage pool up.

I started with a fresh boot device however the machine still won't boot every time. It throws system initialising errors during POST regularly.

The most common is 0x15 which refers to memory.

I have tried sticks in multiple slots and in a variety of configurations.

I also plugged the power supply into a different ups on the surge only plugin and suspect this has the least chance of having impact.

I still don't feel like the system will be stable and I'm scared to reboot again.

I'm extremely hesitant to try buying memory but memory and cpu are the only things I have not replaced.

If there are any suggestions I'd be appreciative.

Last edited:

dvand

Dabbler
I tried rebooting the system. It took well over 20 tries to get the machine to POST and not have it show 'initialization error 15' and stop/freeze.

At this point maybe it was memory all along? Is it any way likely that memory goes bad? The only thing I can think is that there were some thunder storms around when the problem started and the machine was shutdown by the UPS.

Did you replace the boot drive?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

dvand

Dabbler
I've swapped what I believe is the last piece I can swap. Changed the CPU today and was able to get the machine to boot 3x in a row without any POST errors.

After that worked I tried popping in my two additional 8MB memory sticks and when I do the machine throws a POST error at boot and won't start up. I tried moving the memory around and didn't seem to make a difference. What's interesting about this is that i'm now using two different sticks in machine that weren't what I originally started with meaning that I had bought two new sticks to try and get the machine to 32MB from 16MB and now have mixed and matched between my original 16MB and the two new sticks.

If the machine runs reliably now I think I'm done playing with it as it would probably just be easier to start over with different equipment but I now have a motherboard, 2 memory sticks and a power supply that I'm unsure are good or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.