Jumping in with both feet...

Hello,

With Win7 on the brink of death I am bailing with my home systems to something new...

I also want to teach my daughter another OS (opensource) before she get too involved with Windows.

Self taught C++ about ten years ago backwards working Post processors for CNC machines and software. (It was 5yrs or so before I learned I was writing C++)

Currently researching options for OS's for basic computing from the open source world and trying to wrap my mind around the structure of code. Coming along though.. And I am actively looking at Server options and believe FreeNAS fits the bill..?

I started with FreeNAS moving from WHS2011 about 12 months ago. Before WHS I used a Drobo for safe storage of my data, still use it. My current FreeNAS runs great but it is on a slower single CPU board without a redundancies or a backup (not good). I really like the ZFS structure for data safety, but don't quite get it yet.

Currently I'm beating my head against the wall with an ASUS MB with dual CPU's and an ARC1882ix. I decided to build a new server with a bunch of storage using SAS drives and I'm having issues trying to install the OS on a USB or an SSD to no avail. Sooo, here I am poking around looking for a solution to my problems.

I came upon my new to me hardware via an auction and thought one of them will work as a server for me.
Two Fred (Forensic Recovery of Evidence Device) systems by Digital Intelligence
The system I am keeping for a home/business server:
Z9PE-D8 WS
Intel E5-2620 6core (X2)
Hynix (4ea 32GB per processor) HMT31GR7CFR4C-PB T8 AE
ARC-1882IX-12 ver3.0 (want to run as a pass through SAS controller)
Starting with 5ea. Hitachi 600GB SAS HUS156060VLS600 (one drive will be an on-board spare)
Zotac GT630 Synergy Edition 4GB 128BIT DDR3
UltraBay 3D with 3U3F-PCI4XG201 Rev1 (not sure what I'll do with this..? Sell it?)
Powergood 1100W PSU

I hope this will last for a few years considering I will be able to add another 7 drives.

Thank you!
Got it up and running now.. Now just figuring out how to get the Arc1882ix configured..