Jumping ship from Rockstor - heres why

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigace109

Cadet
Hello everyone,

I am new to the FreeNAS community, but not to NAS. I have been tinkering with Rockstor for 2 years now because of the wish that a user could combine the power of NAS storage with plugin applications.

My main concern and problem have lied in instability of btrfs and lack of version support. it seems that with almost every update or major overhaul, there is a plethora of broken systems. I believe the idea is revolutionary, but have decided its not worth the risk of loosing data over.

I know a little about the ZFS, and some about FreeNAS, but what major benefits will I see by migrating my NAS here (this is not rhetorical)? I am excited about the shear community support and active users, I hope to contribute down the road.

Alex

m0nkey_

MVP
Welcome to the forums!
instability of the btrfs and lack of version support
This comes as no surprise.
but what major benefits will I see by migrating my NAS here
A very stable file system. While BTRFS has some nice features, it doesn't match ZFS in terms of reliability and stability. ZFS is designed from the ground up to safeguard your data. Take a look at the 'ZFS for newbies' slideshow for a decent overview of ZFS. There are plenty of other user contributed resources available too.
I am excited about the shear community support and active users, I hope to contribute down the road.
The FreeNAS community is pretty active. Some say that we're not that friendly, but that reputation isn't deserved. Over time it has gotten better, but there are still a few people who often try to bait us into raging, however mods often kill them posts pretty quickly. Sometimes we also forget that we were the newbie once.

I'll also invite you to join the FreeNAS IRC channel where you'll get real-time communication. Sometimes we're on topic, often not. Either way it's usually a fun place to hang out.

You'll find the FreeNAS (and FreeBSD) community nothing quite like what you're used to in the Linux world. I'd like to think we're a friendly bunch. I'm sure you'll like it once you get to know us! :)

bigace109

Cadet
Thank you for the welcoming. I am still doing some research into FreeNAS vs BDS. I am use to having to do my own workarounds before solutions come from another user, which has been good.. but my stress levels elevate about every update.

I will keep my questions down to a minimum until ive got through the links, and manual. Plan to setup a virtual environment tonight for testing.

Thanks again

bigace109

Cadet
Interesting, just found out Rockstor will start offering ZFS in their next release.. not public news, but I wonder how that will go over. Still rather like the idea of Jails/Docker containment.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Docker, as I understand it, is fundamentally a Linux thing. Support for it in FreeNAS is going to be by way of running a Linux VM that handles all the Docker stuff. If Docker is important to you, you might be better off with a Linux solution. Jails work well, but they are a bit different.

donsev

Explorer
Is there a time estimate on when docker will be implemented in 11 the way it was in corral?

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
An official roadmap will be announced in the coming days.

Status
Not open for further replies.