Jellyfin docker can't write to truenas folder. Sqlite database locked

fx2mx3

Cadet
Hi all,

It's my first post and do indeed apologise if this isn't the right place for my question, but I have to start somewhere... :)

So I have installed truenas scale latest version on my esxi 8 server on one VM (192.168.10.12) and I have another VM with debian running portainer (192.168.10.20).

On the Debian VM, I have mounted the following shares:

//192.168.10.12/esxi-share /mnt/esxi-share cifs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,uid=1000,gid=1000,noauto,x-systemd.automount,vers=3.0,rw 0 0

//192.168.10.12/esxi-media /mnt/esxi-media cifs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,uid=1000,gid=1000,noauto,x-systemd.automount,vers=3.0,rw 0 0

All is good, I can read and write from those folders. I then installed jellyfin on portainer with the following yaml

version: '3.5'
services:
jellyfin:
image: jellyfin/jellyfin
container_name: jellyfin
volumes:
- /mnt/esxi-share/.docker/jellyfin/config:/config
- /mnt/esxi-share/.docker/jellyfin/cache:/cache
- /mnt/esxi-media/Media/Movies:/media/movies
- /mnt/esxi-media/Media/TVShows:/media/tvshows
- /mnt/esxi-media/Media/Music:/media/music
ports:
- 8096:8096
- 8920:8920
- 7359:7359/udp
- 1900:1900/udp
restart: 'unless-stopped'
environment:
- PGUID=1000
- PGID=1000
- TZ=Etc/UTC
- NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES=all
runtime: nvidia

The problem is when the jellyfin config path is set to the truenas share /mnt/esxi-share/.docker/jellyfin/config:/config I get the following error:

Microsoft.Data.Sqlite.SqliteException (0x80004005): SQLite Error 5: 'database is locked'.
at Microsoft.Data.Sqlite.SqliteException.ThrowExceptionForRC(Int32 rc, sqlite3 db)

if I change that config to a folder locally for instance /home/myuser/docker/jellyfin/config:/config it works flawlessly.

I have noticed this problem with other containers as well where they can't read or write from subfolders within the share folder.

I have tried applying chmod 777 commands to the folder etc, but something is locking the db

I have attached the full error. thank you very much in advance.

fx2mx3

Cadet
For anyone reading this in the future, this is definitely not a truenas issue, I tried with OMV and exactly the same problem!

fx2mx3

Cadet
Generally speaking, sqlite database isn't a great choice for using over network. https://www.sqlite.org/useovernet.html
If you need a database hosted on a remote system you should use appropriate software e.g. postgres.
Thanks, matey for replying! To be fair I didn't even pick sqllite it just came with the jellyfin docker image. But the reason that it locks it's due to some issue with sqlite locking the file. I did find a solution, but it involved tampering with the CIFS automount thing... I just installed the config locally and am done with it! :))