SOLVED Jails: why are they so big?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marius76541

Dabbler
Hi Guys.

Listen what is stored in the jails? Like my jails folder is about 136BG big and I dont know what is stored in it.
Location is: FreeStorage\MasterJails\usr\ports

Location is: FreeStorage\MasterJails\usr\src (50GB)
Location is: FreeStorage\MasterJails\usr\share (42.2GB)
Location is: FreeStorage\MasterJails\usr\include (1.68GB)
Location is: FreeStorage\MasterJails\usr\lib (2.30GB)
Location is: FreeStorage\MasterJails\usr\local (12.5GB)

Why are they so big?

In total Location is: FreeStorage\MasterJails (546GB +)

Please note this is "Size on disk"
The Size is "10.6GB +"

Nick2253

Wizard
The fact that you are listing directories with backslashes makes me suspicious that you are getting these numbers from Windows. Is that correct? If so, I would discount what you are seeing. ZFS does some weird things with space, and I've definitely seen some odd inconsistencies between Windows explorer readings via SMB and the actual used space. To get an accurate reading of how much space is being used, you'll want to refer to the FreeNAS GUI or via the command line.

Marius76541

Dabbler
After checking in the GUI.. I am using 4TB of my 8TB HDD. and I remove all my data on it.

upload_2018-2-26_21-2-0.png

Reason for cleaning it.. I am selling the HDD and building a better FreeNAS rig.

Last edited by a moderator:

nojohnny101

Wizard
If you have snapshots set up then until you delete those snapshots, you will still use that space. Check if you have snapshots.

Marius76541

Dabbler
No way man!!! Really... How could I miss that?

So basically the snapshot are stored in the jails when you set that up.
Also is the data is kinda compressed?
upload_2018-2-26_23-3-30.png

Nick2253

Wizard
So basically the snapshot are stored in the jails when you set that up.
Also is the data is kinda compressed?
Snapshots and jails are different things, and I think you're getting them mixed up here. Snapshots are a fundamental part of each dataset. From your screenshot, the big snapshots that are taking up a bunch of space are the two "auto" snapshots of the NAS dataset. The fact that they only use about 500GB makes me think that you still have data on your NAS dataset, because if everything was deleted, then the used amount would be the same as the refer amount.

Marius76541

Dabbler
Okay.. I don't understand how their is still more data on the HDD. I had Sickrage, Plex, Coach potato and transmission installed. Had auto downloading set up. I guess the snapshot setup was unnecessary because that means the back up of my data is on the same drive as the original data.. which is useless. XD

Nick2253

Wizard
If you are selling the HDDs, the easiest thing to wipe the data from them is to use a tool like DBAN to wipe the drives. There's no reason to go chasing down data on the hard drives themselves. And furthermore, even if you deleted the data, that doesn't actually remove the data from the drives (it just marks the sectors as available). You'd need to do a secure erase style operation to overwrite those sectors with junk data. Or, just use a tool like DBAN that does all the work for you.

Marius76541

Dabbler
I dont mind doing that after I moved all my data.. I have no backup on this and I have a lot TV Series, Movies and old songs. Also worst part was getting all the episode. Streaming is not always a option. Oh yeah.. that includes my game files. Anyway getting off topic.

So just to be sure. I can delete the snapshots without loosing any off my data.

Also thank you all for the help on this post. :smile:

nojohnny101

Wizard
I thought you said you already deleted all the data but then were confused because space was still being reported as taken up?

So you don't really want to just wipe the drives, you want to take your data off the drives then wipe them for some other purpose correct?

If so have you already deleted data? if you have already deleted the data from the drives and then you delete the corresponding snapshots, the data will be gone completely.

Marius76541

Dabbler
I thought you said you already deleted all the data but then were confused because space was still being reported as taken up?

So you don't really want to just wipe the drives, you want to take your data off the drives then wipe them for some other purpose correct?

If so have you already deleted data? if you have already deleted the data from the drives and then you delete the corresponding snapshots, the data will be gone completely.

Yes I removed all of my data. But still about 3.4 TB was used and I didnt know why. With the help here I found out that the Snapshot where using that much space. (*Shown in the Screenshot, previous reply*)

nojohnny101

Wizard
Ok so what do you want to do then? I'm confused.

You have deleted all the data except snapshots but you said you want to save the data because you don't have another copy before wiping the drives. So why did you delete the data before saving it?

Please state clearly what you want to do.

Marius76541

Dabbler
I wanted to know what was using up so much space and why the folder "Masterjails" was so big.

nojohnny101

Wizard
Ok. As previously mentioned, it is likely due to existing snapshots that you haven't deleted. If you have a already saved the data or you don't care about the data that you said you already deleted, then just delete all the snapshots and you will reclaim that space.

Or, as others have suggested, the easier way is to just wipe the drives with any wiping program. That will also delete the snapshots.

Marius76541

Dabbler
Thank you will do. Was afraid their was other data in the HDD still left.

Status
Not open for further replies.