Jails differences: STANDARD vs PORT vs PLUGIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

enemy85

Guru
Goodmorning everybody,
as the topic title reports, i'm interested in understanding the differences between the different kind of jails available in FreeNas.
The manual doesn't report anything about it, I tried to search on the forum but the only thing i understood is that most of the expert people present here in the forum, tend to install plugins (plex for example) in portjails self-created insted of using the Plugin available. This should be because it's much easier later to upgrade the plugin or am I missing other important reasons?
What are the differences and the pro/cons of portjail vs standard or plugin jails?
Sorry for the question if it has already been asked, but i couldn't find any explanation.
Thank you

Yatti420

Wizard

fracai

Guru
I have never understood this part.

3. Standard jail: this type of jail is functionally the same as a port jail. A distinction is made for those users who prefer to separate network services, such as DHCP or DNS servers, from other installed software.

What distinction? Could DHCP and DNS not be run in another port jail?

enemy85

Guru

George Kyriazis

Dabbler
A related question that I have:

What type of jail do I need to create if I want to create FreeNAS PBIs?

It looks like it would be a plugin jail (since it provides the most functionality according to table 10a in http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Jails), but I'd like to make sure.

Thank you!

fracai

Guru
1. Plugin jail: this type of jail provides the most flexibility for software installation. Similar to the Plugins method, this type of jail supports the installation of FreeNAS® PBIs, which integrate into the FreeNAS® GUI. In addition to FreeNAS® PBIs, you can also install the following types of software within a plugin jail: FreeBSD ports and FreeBSD pkgng packages. However, only FreeNAS® PBIs can be managed from the GUI as the other types of software are managed from the command line of the jail. Further, the other types of jails do not support the ability to install FreeNAS® PBIs. If you plan to install FreeNAS® PBIs, create a plugin jail.

Status
Not open for further replies.