Jails and SSD Capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstathoulis

Dabbler
Hi,

I've just finished my NAS build and in the process of learning, experimenting and basically trying to educate myself. I primarily built it for Crashplan and storage but have a couple of questions regarding Jails & SSD capacity/storage. Currently I have 2x WD RED 3TB in mirror configuration in a Node304. The jail volume is residing in the mirror (obviously) but I have a questions regarding this, so here goes:
My example is based on the plugin Crashplan but I guess it could apply to others.

When it's time to set the folders (as an example)
Source = physical location of files (vol1/mnt/backup/crashplan/)
Destination = files jail folder (vol1/jails/crashplan/media/)

My question is, when I copy new files to the Source are they also physically copied into the jail or are they just virtual copies? The reason which I'm asking is that I'm thinking installing the jails in an SSD (128GB or less). If physical files are also copied to the jails folder in the SSD, then the storage capacity is going to fill up fast each time I place new files into my source folder (which has been mapped in windows as X:\crashplan).

Is this the case or am I'm missing something?

Many Thanks
Constantinos

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
And also, sir, lots of people do what you are saying. I have an SSD that I use for my jail root. All of my jails are on it.

Any "storage" you add with the "Add Storage" dialogue will, as Dru has said, neither read nor write to the SSD---it links to whatever pool the storage is associated with. So in your case, only the crashplan jail will be on the SSD, not the data you add.

cstathoulis

Dabbler
And also, sir, lots of people do what you are saying. I have an SSD that I use for my jail root. All of my jails are on it.

Any "storage" you add with the "Add Storage" dialogue will, as Dru has said, neither read nor write to the SSD---it links to whatever pool the storage is associated with. So in your case, only the crashplan jail will be on the SSD, not the data you add.

Ah.... many thanks for your quick and informative replies. I couldn't get a "clear"picture from all the reading I was doing and just got bogged down. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.