Jail SSD overkill? Sabnzbd + Sonarr + CP + Plex

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigzaj

Explorer
I built a new server last week, have spent the weekend trying to get the plugins, etc. working. I built this with 2x 256gb SSD for my jails pool with a mirrored vdev. I plan to run Sabnzbd + Sonarr + CP + Plex. I went with 256gb because I planned to set the "downloads" folder using a dataset on the SSD so all downloads go there before being moved to my storage pool. I'm not sure I am gaining much by doing this at this point and considering repurposing the SSD. Is my jail setup overkill?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
with sabnzbd there is some benefit to having the incomplete downloads folder and complete downloads folder on separate devices. this way you are reading from one device(s) and writing to another, which speeds up unraring.

but having your jails (including incomplete and complete) downloads folders on the same device doesn't gain this benefit, and has the extra inefficiency of having to move the completed download across dataset during post-processing. this would be a read-write-delete operation, instead of a pointer only change if your completed downloads folder was on the same dataset as your final media location.

####

as for where best to use your ssd I'd leave that up to you.

Agreed and it will also depend on your pool composition as for the speed vs an SSD. SSD's are real fast till you fill the buffer and have to start deeper writes and then tend to slow down with bigger files to below HDD speeds. A single HDD can not beat an SSD head to head but having multiple HDD's can and they can also handle the large files very consistently.

bigzaj

Explorer
"media storage" pool will initally be 8x6tb in 1x RaidZ2 vdev.

It sounds like I should perhaps set the incomplete folder on the SSD and the complete downloads folder on media storage volume would be the best route.

Status
Not open for further replies.