Jail Root

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangopango

Contributor
I don't have a spare volume to put it on, so how do I temporarily disable it or whatever. It keeps automatically adding itself to my current volume and I don't want it to do that.

7ba777ea88.jpg

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
I don't have a spare volume to put it on, so how do I temporarily disable it or whatever. It keeps automatically adding itself to my current volume and I don't want it to do that.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly. An empty jail root dataset --- that is: when using no jails --- takes up very little space (88 kBytes on my system, see below), which should not harm except in very extreme cases. So why bothering?
Code:
~ # zfs list -o space volume0/jails
NAME		   AVAIL   USED  USEDSNAP  USEDDS  USEDREFRESERV  USEDCHILD
volume0/jails  1.28T	88K		 0	 88K			  0		  0

danb35

Hall of Famer
I don't want it to do that.
Why not? It has to go somewhere if you're going to have jails--and there's no reason for it to not be on your main pool.

LIGISTX

Guru
I suppose there is no solution
I don’t understand, if you don’t have any jails there shouldn’t be a jails dir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pschatz100

Guru
I don't understand what the problem is. Why does it matter whether or not you define a root for jails? A FreeNAS installation includes some jail templates, and it has to put them somewhere. The cost to your system is negligible.

rangopango

Contributor
i don't have a choice to define a root for jails, it automatically creates one in any volume where I don't want it, that is the problem

pschatz100

Guru
i don't have a choice to define a root for jails, it automatically creates one in any volume where I don't want it, that is the problem
I don't understand what you mean. The system allows you to define the root for jails on any data volume you have available. It takes a negligible amount of space and no resources if you don't define any jails. Of course, if you have only one data volume, then that is where the root dataset goes.

Why do you care where it puts the root? You can ignore it.

Going back through the posts, I notice that you have not provided specs for your system, nor have you explained why this is an issue for you. Perhaps if you would describe what it is you need to do, then we could offer some good advice.

rangopango

Contributor
I wrote what I want to do in my first post. I don't want to put it on any volume as I'm not using jails at all

danb35

Hall of Famer
A FreeNAS installation includes some jail templates,
No, it doesn't. If/when you create a jail, the template is downloaded at that time. But there's no reason that a jails dataset must exist on a base installation.
I don't understand why it has to be there
It doesn't.

rangopango

Contributor
How do i get rid of it, I'm not using jails anyway (but I might in the future, who knows)

LIGISTX

Guru
How do i get rid of it, I'm not using jails anyway (but I might in the future, who knows)

If there is a jail dataset, you can just delete it. If you have no jails you have no need for a dataset for them.

rangopango

Contributor
Every time I delete that jail dataset, it creates a new one. How do I prevent it from doing that when I don't have any jails or plugins installed?

LIGISTX

Guru
I am not sure. I have never experienced this issue. When I fresh install FreeNAS and don’t have any jails setup, there are no jail directories. Only once I creat a jail do they exist.

rangopango

Contributor
I created a jail and I put it on a USB to see what jails are like, and now I don't have any jails, but it keeps creating a dataset on my main volume

rangopango

Contributor
What does this mean?

freenas.local changes in mounted filesystems:
13d12
< Volume/jails /mnt/Volume/jails zfs rw,noatime,nfsv4acls 0 0

-- End of security output --

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
What does this mean?

freenas.local changes in mounted filesystems:
13d12
< Volume/jails /mnt/Volume/jails zfs rw,noatime,nfsv4acls 0 0

-- End of security output --

As far as I read that this means that at the previous boot a Volume/jails dataset was mounted to /mnt/Volume/jails while at the current boot this dataset isn't mounted. Hmm, did you finally reach your goal to get rid of a jail root dataset? Is the output of mount | grep jails empty?

rangopango

Contributor
yes it's empty and no, my problem is still there because it keeps creating a dataset at /mnt/Volume/jails

Status
Not open for further replies.