Multiple Jail root locations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amsoil_Jim

Contributor
I saw a recommendation to install and run Plex on a SSD for faster access and media transcoding, so this was my intension.
I just bought a new "used" server and installed the SSD and then transferred the 6 drives from my old NAS unit, I then imported the volume and that worked perfectly.
The SSD in mounted as its own volume as a stripe.
I installed Plex using this guide https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...to-install-plex-in-a-freenas-9-10-jail.19412/ with the jail root set the the SSD volume.
I got Plex setup and running and then I noticed all the jails were still on the volume I had imported but not showing up the the jails tab and I recently saw that when importing a volume FreeNAS can also import the jails. So I went to the jails configuration section and changed the root to the imported volumes jail root and then all the old jails showed up but then the "New" Plex jail i created on the SSD doesn't show.

So I'm wondering will this actually work to have it setup like this? or should you have all Jails in one root location?

If it pertains here is my system info:
Build FreeNAS-11.0-RELEASE (a2dc21583)
Platform Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2690 0 @ 2.90GHz
Memory 196536MB
1 - 128GB SSD ADATA
6 - 3TB WD Red Drives
Supermicro Dual CPU
24 hot swap bays

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
All jails need to be in the same location.

Adding a SSD has zero impact on Plex transcoding performance. And no one that I have talked to can show me any performance gains.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Amsoil_Jim

Contributor
Ok, So all jails need to be in one location
I see some people have them on a separate drive but then you run the risk of losing them all due to drive failure, so its best to have them on a main volume.

ArgaWoW

Patron
Ok, So all jails need to be in one location
I see some people have them on a separate drive but then you run the risk of losing them all due to drive failure, so its best to have them on a main volume.
I have my jails on a single ssd and I do a replication every week to my data pool as backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.