Jail Root is fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleIPA

Explorer
I have a jail root that's I cannot change even though I've deleted my dataset etc.

Original path in Jail Configuration is /mnt/nasvideos/jails <-- cannot be changed. When I change it and save it, it reverts back to this.

I created a new dataset for jails and when I try to change it in jails configuration is just reverts back to the old one even though the volume dataset is not there anymore. I haven't used any jails in years and I have no idea of there's leftover crud somewhere but I'd like to change it to a new raid volume. Any ideas?

FreeNAS-11.0-U2 (e417d8aa5)

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

Anything in /var/log/messages when you try to change it?

DoubleIPA

Explorer
The only thing I found related is the following. .

Aug 9 18:28:49 freenas uwsgi: [middleware.exceptions:36] [MiddlewareError: b'The path could not be mounted /mnt/nasvideos/jails/plexmediaserver_1/media: Mount failed 1 -> , mount: /mnt/nasvideos/jails/plexmediaserver_1/mnt/MAIN: No such file or directory

This appears that to me that it was trying to mount one dataset to the other because mnt/MAIN is a different raid and dataset than mount/nasvideos.

I was trying to set the jails root to /mnt/MAIN/jails but it keeps default to /mnt/nasvideos/jails which is the original location

I have 2 raids in this system and nasvideos is first and then MAIN. I started thinking too much and thought perhaps it defaults to the first one.

pschatz100

Guru
Why are you referring to raids? How is your storage set up? I don't see much hardware information.

DoubleIPA

Explorer
Why are you referring to raids? How is your storage set up? I don't see much hardware information.
I'm referring to 2 Z2 raids in one box or 2 Volumes (/mnt/nasvideos (da0 thru da6) & /mnt/MAIN (ada0 thru ada5). The jails is automatically installing in one and I'd like it to install in the other. Nothing appears in the logs when I change the jails configuration as far as I can tell.

pschatz100

Guru
I find it curious that the system is still trying to mount something into the old jail. How did you originally create the jail? Was it a plugin? How did you remove the jail? Did you remove the storage mounts when you removed the jail?

Are there any other jails installed in your system?

DoubleIPA

Explorer
I haven't used a jail for several years and I did a manual install of mysql and then a plugin install of plex. The strange thing is the jail wasn't part of that volume to begin with as that volume came at a later date. I've done a couple new installs since then and the jail location has always been set to the new volume. I honestly thought it had something to do with the install process.

I can delete the jail dataset and change the install location to the other volume, but as soon as I click on jail configuration is reverts back even though I've deleted the dataset. If I create a dataset manually for the jail on the volume I want and point jail configuration root to that dataset it still reverts back to the original.

With everything deleted and changing the configuration, but not going back in to see if it held, it will install a new plugin and recreate the old dataset for that plugin.

I've deleted the old dataset and subdirectories for it via the command line and the jails configuration will still revert to it when installing a new plugin regardless of where I specify the location.

DoubleIPA

Explorer
Only thing I wonder is if has something do with migration database. Complete blind guess.

pschatz100

Guru
I doubt it. How did you delete the data set? Exactly what did you do?

DoubleIPA

Explorer
First few times I did it through the web interface and then I went into the subdirectory and used the rm -rf command. Anyway, not really getting anywhere and regardless of what or how I did it, the configuration isn't holding the changes.

pschatz100

Guru
If you destroy the dataset through the web GUI, then it will be gone. You would do that from the Storage tab by selecting the jails dataset and clicking on the destroy dataset icon (be careful not to destroy anything with data that you want to keep.) If it is not gone, then you have some other problem and it is not related to the FreeNAS configuration. Using rm -rf from the command line is not the proper command to destroy a dataset.

Have you tried doing a clean FreeNAS install and setting the jails path without restoring the FreeNAS configuration? Does it work OK, then? Unless you have some complicated stuff in your setup, it might be easier to reconfigure everything from scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.