Unable to change jail root directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstam

Dabbler
I'm in the process of moving jails from one pool to another. However, I am completely unable to change the jail root directory!

I started with moving them using zfs snapshots, it looks like all the data is there and is the same.

I have two pools: "Media", and "nas4". Current jail root is /mnt/Media/jails, I'd like to change it to /mnt/nas4/jails

It seems that no matter what I do, I get the message: "Jail dataset created on a share". Even if I attempt to set the jail root directory to what it's already set to.

Really not sure how to proceed here...

EDIT: I ended up deleting all my jails, with the idea to recreate them on the new pool. But I still am unable to change the jail root directory.

m0nkey_

MVP
Do you have a share configured on /mnt/Media or /mnt/nas4? If so, you'll need to delete the share before you can move it.

jstam

Dabbler
Do you have a share configured on /mnt/Media or /mnt/nas4? If so, you'll need to delete the share before you can move it.

I had a share on /mnt/Media, which I've now removed, and I am able to open the jail root directory config page, make no changes, and hit save with no complaints from the interface.

I've got three samba shares on another pool /mnt/nas (note, different than nas4), but the jails aren't on that share and I'm not moving them to it.

Perhaps I'm going about the process wrong? I'm creating a new dataset "/mnt/nas4/jails", then trying to select that directory in the jail root directory config.

jstam

Dabbler
Sorry for the double post, and m0nkey_ thanks for your reply! I was just able to move the jail root directory!

However, I'm wondering if this is expected behavior?

Pool setup:
  • /mnt/Media
  • /mnt/nas
  • /mnt/nas4
I was trying to move the jail root directory from /mnt/Media/jails to /mnt/nas4/jails. And was getting an error complaining that I was moving the jail root directory onto a share.

Shares set up at the time:
  • /mnt/nas/experiments
  • /mnt/nas/research
  • /mnt/nas/storage
I wasn't able to move the jail root directory /mnt/Media/jails to /mnt/nas4/jails until I deleted all the shares on /mnt/nas.

m0nkey_

MVP
Yes, this is expected. You cannot create a jail root on an already shared dataset.

jstam

Dabbler
Sorry, my pool names are kinda confusing, "nas" and "nas4". I wasn't able to move the jail root anywhere in the "nas4" pool, which has never had any shares, without deleting my shares on the "nas" pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.