Jails in system dataset "freenas-boot"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakob Tewes

Cadet
Hey there,

for spindown- and performance-reasons, I´d like to move my jails to the system dataset.

I got a NAS-System consisting of a (high write endurance) SSD with 250Gb, that I planned to use as system disk and for my jails.
FreeNAS is installed to this SSD and uses 1,14GB of this SSD (what a waste of space)
The persistant data is held on four low speed 2,5" 1TB Harddisks, that show very weak performance .

For testing and easy of use, I gave the default setup a try and placed the jails on the data zvol - the performance is terrible (zoneminder, plex etc.) :-(

So for me it would fit perfectly if I´d move my jails to the 250 GB SSD, that holds boot and system zpool "freenas-boot" and
mirroring it on a regular basis to the data zvol (can I do it via a FreeNAS replication mechanism, or do I have to replicate it manually
via zfs send | zfs receive?).

Unfortunately (for good reason in "normal" setups) I can´t use the zpool "freenas-boot" for data storage via FreeNAS Web as zvols don´t show up in the gui.

I´ve already tried, creating a zfs volume via console and setting the mountpoint to /mnt/zroot-jail. Then I tried moving the jails
by changing "Jail Root" to "/mnt/zroot-jail" via web. FreeNAS denies that with reason "Jail root must be on a volume or dataset!"

Has anyone done this before or has an idea, how to achieve what I´m planning?

Thanks and kind regards,

Jakob

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Well, you shouldn't be attempting to put anything on the OS drive. This is lined out in the documentation and is something you should have known before wasting a 250gb SSD.

The best option is to find a smaller boot device and reinstall on it, and use your 250gb SSD for a jails pool.

Don't try to hack your jails onto your OS drive. You will regret that as soon as an update comes out that messes with that structure.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Putting your jails on the boot device is not the correct solution. You are going to want to get a small USB stick for your boot device. Then use your ssd and create a new pool for your jails.

You mention spin down and performance as your reasons and i think you are incorrect in your reasoning. Spinning down your drives is going to shorten their lifespan and cause premature failure. It's very unlikely your performed of Plex and zoneminde is being limiter by your pool. If you can prove its your HDD that are bottlenecking things i would be very interested because people put their jails on ssds all the time and think it makes zero difference.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

joeschmuck

Old Man
What these guys said.

As for the performance of your system, you haven't shared the configuration of that system but I suspect that if your performance is poor, they you either have a poorly configured system or under-powered system, or both. If you toss out some info on your system maybe we could give you some friendly advice on how to improve the performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.