jail help - perl, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

aufalien

Patron
Hi all,

I'm kinda confused about jails in terms of how it applies to say installing perl or other warez that i would normally install via pkg_add -r etc...

I created a jail and its supporting data set as I wanted this on my ZFS volume.

So how do I use it, simply drop into a cli? The concept of virtual applications is very new to me.

Any guidance in appreciated.

In terms of what I am trying to do, its to install parallel which requires perl.

I would rather not install in the FreeNAS OS as that breaks how its designed, not to mention fills up root :)

aufalien

Patron
Aight, I is such a barney. Referring to the wonderful manual page 222, I simply issue jexec JAILID from the Shell menu. This virtialized application sandbox function is very cool.

One key question though;

Is it possible to apply crons via the GUI for the jail or is this completely isolated?

I assume I can NFS mount my local storage to run various tasks, or is there a better way to access my local ZFS volumes?

Dusan

Guru
Is it possible to apply crons via the GUI for the jail or is this completely isolated?
Every jail has it's own cron (you need to edit /etc/crontab inside the jail), but it is possible to also use the FreeNAS cron (hint: jexec ;) )

I assume I can NFS mount my local storage to run various tasks, or is there a better way to access my local ZFS volumes?
Yes, there is a better way: http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Adding_Jails#Adding_Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.