Jail Connectivity

lotustechie

Dabbler
I updated everything recently on my FreeNAS box, and now none of my jails have connectivity. I can remote into shell via the web interface, but the jail cannot see my router or the internet. I just upgraded my router but kept the subnet the same. All the network settings look fine, but I can't figure out what's going on.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
From the jail's perspective, the default gateway changed MACs. Inside the jail, run arp -d -a as root to flush out the ARP cache, so the jail can relearn the new MAC.

lotustechie

Dabbler
I'm now getting a completely different error message:

Error: [EFAULT] Stopped LT-PMS01 due to VNET failure

Samuel Tai

OK, you'll have to stop and restart the jail.

lotustechie

Dabbler
It happened after I shut it down. I can't restart the jail. Just rebooted the host and still can't start the Jail. My OpenVPN (non-plugin jail) is working now.

EDIT: Somehow the default gateway on that Jail got messed up, so that's what was causing that issue. It's back up now and connected.

lotustechie

Dabbler
I'm having the original problem again. Jail isn't connecting with the network.

It's down again. Just the Jails not using NAT. The Jail using NAT is still working.

Last edited:

Samuel Tai

Can your new router impersonate the MAC of the old?

lotustechie

Dabbler
I just set up MAC Clone from my old router on my new one and rebooted everything. I'll have to see what happens. Last night when I rebooted, everything worked, then after a period of time, it stopped working. Is there any log that would show me when that happened?

lotustechie

Dabbler
It's staying connected longer, but overnight it's not accessible in the morning. Any other ideas?

Samuel Tai

What's your hardware setup? Are you doing anything non-standard with System->Tunables? Also, can you describe how your jails are configured?

lotustechie

Dabbler
Just for the NAS? Or for my entire network? I am using the Asus XG C100C 10G Network Adapter in the NAS, but other than that everything is standard.

Samuel Tai

Just the NAS. What driver are you using for that 10G NIC?

Samuel Tai

Never mind, I see this NIC is based on the Aquantia AQC107. This NIC isn't really supported yet in FreeNAS, and the FreeBSD driver is still pre-release. You should switch to a supported 10G NIC, like a Chelsio, Mellanox, or Intel.

lotustechie

Dabbler
I don't understand why FreeNAS won't natively support it when there are drivers for OpenBSD on Aquantia's site. It is the only commercially available 10G card available. Everything else you have to buy from 4th party eBay "vendors".

Samuel Tai

I don't understand why FreeNAS won't natively support it when there are drivers for OpenBSD on Aquantia's site.

Because the download is a version 0.0.2 driver. The pkg kmod is a 0.0.5 driver. It's nowhere near production ready.

lotustechie

Dabbler
If I'm going to get a different NIC, I want to get and SFP card. Do you have one that you would recommend?

Samuel Tai

If I'm going to get a different NIC, I want to get and SFP card. Do you have one that you would recommend?

Folks have had success with the Intel X550 series; this is a copper card.