Jackett - New release for Linux

NotMyName

Cadet
Hi everyone,

Based on a few things, I've decided to gradually migrate to self-managed Jails for things I'm using.

One of them is Jackett and the new release doesn't require Mono as per note for version 0.11.256 (Inform users that Mono is no longer needed)

I've downloaded Jackett.Binaries.LinuxAMDx64.tar.gz and partially followed the process of installing it (https://www.ixsystems.com/community...darr-lidarr-jackett-transmission-organizr.58/)

I've realised later that not only it's outdated but I'm unable to start Jackett in the new jail at all and I'm not sure why.

Did anyone else had tried to update it and what was the result or how to get it working.

Thanx

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Isn't Mono the reason it ran in the first place? The blurb you quote sounds to me like "we run on some more Linuxy thing now", presumably making it a Linux binary which is far from guaranteed to work on FreeBSD and would require special treatment.

ornias

Wizard
Quite a necro, but I think this could require some more explaination:
Linux has access to dotnet core, which isn't available for freenas (<12) and is not officially available for TrueNAS CORE.

I would bet they use dotnet CORE on linux.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
It's a shame really, considering that open source dotnet was first developed on FreeBSD ...

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
The thread is only a little over a year old now.

I agree, and wonder greatly why a dev would shift from FreeBSD likely over to a different license which is prevalent elsewhere, and have to deal with all the other churn as well. Perhaps we need more structure or tools or something to guide and assist new developers, or conversely, we need to be completely something else in a totally other way and be very much prescriptive. I dunno. Although I also believe that our pkg/ports system has suffered a bit these last few years, which seems to now require a management program to successfully install some things-- this is WRONG! The ports tree should work perfectly without anything else, all dependencies should be drawn in without needing to be discovered at time of a build fail to be added.

Is dotnet anything like the same but alternate spelling for a Microsoft product/system?

.NET promised more than provided and what it seemed to provide was not a capability but wishful thinking of this once-upon-a-time user. I haven't used Microsoft on bare metal since I began using PC-BSD, and haven't used it in a Virtualbox in possibly 5-10 years.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Is dotnet anything like the same but alternate spelling for a Microsoft product/system?
Yes, I meant .NET or however that is spelled. It was big news when MS released an open source implementation and the first platform was FreeBSD.