Ivy Bridge vs. Haswell

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockstar0215

Dabbler
I've been doing some major lurking for a few days and I have a solid grasp on what makes a good system. My plans include a X9 or a X10 board with a E3- 1220 either v2 or v3. There is only a $5-10 difference between these two setups. I was hoping I could buy Ivy Bridge cheaper because it's an older version but there's really no difference. Now for performance, does anyone have any experience? Haswell supports graphics which is useless for this application. Is there a serious performance boost over v2 xeon chips? I will mostly be using Plex for transcoding and the ZFS option for files.

Is there a reason one would choose one over the other?

EDIT: I also considered the i3 4th gen (because of ECC support; 3rd gen does not support ECC) with the X10 because the cheaper cost of processor. After lurking some report that this may not be beefy enough to stream and transcode at the same time. Opinions?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Go Xeon if you want transcoding.. period.

I have the V2 and I can't imagine maxing out my CPU with transcoding.

rockstar0215

Dabbler
Thanks cyberjock!

Now that the i3 is out of the equation, can anyone comment on any differences between v2 and v3?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I don't see a difference that is significant personally except that v3s use a different chipset that is currently having some problems with FreeNAS. For example, most users can't reboot FreeNAS but must shut it down, then power it back up. It's likely to be fixed... someday. But when that day comes is anyone's guess.

If you are okay with small inconvenient quirks like that then the v3 is probably the better choice long-term. But I know of no bug that is data-killing or otherwise prevents FreeNAS from being used without small workarounds.

hoboville

Dabbler
v3 reports up to 10% improved IPC, since it is, after all, Haswell. Also, less power, and $5-10 isn't much.

Sir.Robin

Guru
I would go ivy myself if it werent for the ridiculous little price diff.
Also, after turning off xhci (i think it was) i have no issue running and rebooting freenas 9.x on the x10 board.

Richman

Patron
I would go ivy myself if it werent for the ridiculous little price diff.
Also, after turning off xhci (i think it was) i have no issue running and rebooting freenas 9.x on the x10 board.

So, it must have been a problem that effected FreeNAS 8x and is not fixed or ...... only effected X9 MB's?

Sir.Robin

Guru
FreeNAS does not support USB 3.0. So you can disable it in BIOS (xhci). This will make the USB 3.0 ports work in 2.0 mode.

With that said, the reason i would go ivy is if i could save some pennies on it.
Sadly theres no price difference so... No point.

Happy with the X10SL7 :)

nakos

Dabbler
I don't see a difference that is significant personally except that v3s use a different chipset that is currently having some problems with FreeNAS. For example, most users can't reboot FreeNAS but must shut it down, then power it back up. It's likely to be fixed... someday. But when that day comes is anyone's guess.

If you are okay with small inconvenient quirks like that then the v3 is probably the better choice long-term. But I know of no bug that is data-killing or otherwise prevents FreeNAS from being used without small workarounds.

I have SuperMicro X10SL7-F with Xeon E3-1230v3 Haswell and i don't have any problem. I can reboot without shutdown
I don't have any experience with v2s but if you are planning to go for an X10 + v3 by my point of view you will not have any issue

Richman

Patron
FreeNAS does not support USB 3.0. So you can disable it in BIOS (xhci). This will make the USB 3.0 ports work in 2.0 mode.

That must mean that FreeBSD is what really doesn't support USB 3.0 ........... right? And I am surprised at that. 3.0 has been out for how many months now and almost standard on most MB at this time? Came out 24 months ago or more?

Sir.Robin

Guru
Yeh... But really no biggie for me at all. Only use usb for boot device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rockstar0215

Dabbler
After doing some shopping around and seeing what I will be using my server for, I am considering the i3 v4 (With ECC support). None of my streaming devices at home require transcoding, all of them play .mkv files through DLNA with no issues and no additional transcoding. In this case, I should just go with the cheapest processor I could get my hands on?

Sir.Robin

Guru

rockstar0215

Dabbler
This sounds even better. Correct me if I am wrong, but FreeNas does not need a beefy processor unless you're doing transcoding?

Sir.Robin

Guru
Well some might argue, but for home use i really don't think theres a problem. I use a underclocked athlonII x2 on my secondary....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

indy

Patron
Regarding Xeon V2 vs V3: the V3s have about 10W less power consumption when idle.

Should you require AES hardware acceleration, you need an I3 v4 or Xeon.

Michael Wulff Nielsen

Contributor
I would just add that my system with an i3 does transcoding just fine. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.