Trying to decide the best upgrade path

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrMuffin

Dabbler
I've been using FreeNAS for a few months now with a budget build to get started. I built the entire thing for under $350 and my specs are:

Intel Celeron G1620 (Ivy Bridge)
Foxconn H77MXV-D
8GB (2x4GB) 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM (non-ecc)
2x3TB Seagate 7200RPM ZFS Mirror
Rosewill RV350-2 350W PSU

Customizing and playing with FreeNAS over the months has been so much fun for me, and now I need some more power. My only problem is I can't decide the best route to take seeing as I do not want to upgrade everything at once and keep it more spread out in time.

Here is my end goal:

Intel Xeon 1230V2 (or V3 depending on price)
Server motherboard (exact model and brand varies, socket depends on CPU, preferably Supermicro)
16GB (2x8GB) ECC RAM (ideally 1600Mhz)
4x3TB Seagate 7200RPM

I want the Xeon because it'll be able to handle multiple HD transcodings at once. The RAM is also high up in my priorities because ECC seems to be a pretty important feature that I'm lacking. But to get the RAM I'd also need a new motherboard and processor that support it. The additional hard drives would be a good performance boost from a simple mirror and the added space would be nice too.

My thinking is to either get the V2 Ivy Bridge ($199 at my local Microcenter) and then the motherboard later on. Or get a Haswell motherboard and V3 together, Newegg has a good bundle for just under $400. My only problem is that I don't wanna spend $400 right now haha.

So I'm kinda looking for input from anyone willing to help! What should be my biggest priority to reach my end goal and what do you think is the best path to take? I can't decide, but here is what I'm thinking:
Processor->Motherboard->RAM->Storage
Hopefully the RAM and HDD prices will drop some in the future too!

Thanks for anyone who actually read all this haha

Status
Not open for further replies.