Upgrade Path - VMware based FreeNAS server

Scharbag

Guru
I have been using FreeNAS hosted on a VMware system successfully for a number of years and I am very happy with it. I am currently using older server hardware, namely a Supermicro X8DTE-F dual processor motherboard with 192GB of ECC RAM and a pair of L5638 CPUs. My SAS controllers are external units (2 @ LSI 9211-8i). Everything works great and I have no need to upgrade. That said, the old motherboard is no longer supported in any new releases of ESXi and at some point, it will fail due to age.

So, I would like to know what this community would recommend for a replacement.

I currently have (VMs run in ESXi - see signature for details):

FreeNAS with 4 simple jails (Media type stuff) and about ~79TiB of storage over 3 pools (fast - production - backup)
4-5 Windows 7 VMs
TrueCommand VM
1 Windows 10 VM
pfSense VM (I require 2 physical NICs)

The system does not see intensive processor loading as it stores data and serves media. I have so much memory because I got it for CHEAP from my old workplace. I would like to stick with server grade hardware as reliability is key. I certainly do not need bleeding edge or even leading edge hardware as my old slag works fine.

I was considering X10 type hardware. I would like to stick to at least 128GB of ram if possible. I think this forces me to use dual CPU boards. I would love to hear your opinions on how I should approach my motherboard end of life.

Thank you,

Jessep

Patron

Scharbag

Guru
X10 (such as the X10SRI-F) can do 256GB with 32GB RDIMMs
https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/motherboard/X10SRi-F
Not a cheap board though.

Used RAM is ~$100 per RDIMM for PC4-2400 2Rx4

CPU to match what you have is E5-2620 V3/V4.

What's your budget?
Board/CPU/RAM?
Keeping case/drives?
That is a fairly pricy MB. I hope to find a used Supermicro server with motherboard, processors and RAM already installed. I do not need new, nor do I need leading edge. That said, I also do not need dual CPU for what I do. Although, buying a complete 5 year old server seems way cheaper than buying new parts.

It does sound like the Supermicro X10 family of boards are pretty good. It is just a matter of picking the right hardware and finding the right CPU and RAM deals.

I will be keeping my existing chassis and drives. Budget is yet to be determined but I will do some thinking on that. Given my ESXi use, I would prefer to have more memory.

Thanks for the comments!

Cheers,

blanchet

Guru
VMware ESXi 6.5 is supported until Nov 15, 2021.
So if you are encountering no issue with your actual hardware, you can wait for 2 extra years before replacing your server.
In 2022, you can pick up a Supermicro X10 motherboard for the actual price of a Supermicro X9 one.

Scharbag

Guru
VMware ESXi 6.5 is supported until Nov 15, 2021.
So if you are encountering no issue with your actual hardware, you can wait for 2 extra years before replacing your server.
In 2022, you can pick up a Supermicro X10 motherboard for the actual price of a Supermicro X9 one.
That is likely what I will do. My X8 MB is stable and runs cool. My only worry is a component failure that I have to react to in a rush. Fingers crossed that I can just keep running this board for a while and then get an X10 in the future.

Cheers,