Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Yes, but it was a bad experience

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rockstar0215

Dabbler
I got an x9 board dirt cheap but the only ECC CPUs are the Xeon series and are twice the price of a the new 4th gen i3. This leads me to the second hand market to shop for bargains on Ivy and Sandy bridge Xeons.

Would anyone consider buying used CPUs or ever had bought one? What is your experience like?

If it means saving more than 50% I would go for it, but I feel like it's risky any other way.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
I bought a used CPU indirectly, by buying a used server. I think your 50% saving target makes sense as an upper limit.

I have also sold used CPUs and other components to many satisfied customers (but hardly any server gear). If you're looking on eBay, just do due diligence on the seller's reputation. My policy is pretty much no-questions-asked replacement or full refund for any issues, unless I have good reason to question the buyer's honesty.

Literally every server i have purchase has been used, i have purchased trays of CPU's, trays of RAM, and stacks of power supplies, all used. Never had a issue. I purchase alot of 1366 socket stuff, and alot of triple channel RAM, i will admit some of it is power hungry, but it gets the job done

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I've bought used, but only because it was better than 50% savings. Never had a problem. Just be sure you aren't buying those qualification sample CPUs. ;)

I bought a CPU once from a guy on irc really cheap.
These was nothing wrong with the CPU but i only checked they socket and assumed it would work.
My motherboard did not support the newer CPU.

Savage

Dabbler
I have about a dozen used CPU in use. 1366 i7 and Xeon, an Opteron, and some 1156 and 1155 I series. Typically the most reliable thing in a PC these days.

Out of all components in a computer, CPUs are the only thing that never broke down on me. If you don't overclock them to the max they normally run forever, so I think its safe to buy used CPUs

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
@rockstar0215
Found this if you're interested. Termed "working pull" so it would be returnable
if it arrived DOA per eBay policy guarantee.
Intel Xeon E-1220 socket 1155 = $109 with free shipping or best offer.
He has only sold one, out of ten availible, with less than 24hrs. before the auction ends.
He might take an offer of $95.
A word of caution however, your offer may be accepted instantly and is binding per eBay policy.

rockstar0215

Dabbler
@rockstar0215
Found this if you're interested. Termed "working pull" so it would be returnable
if it arrived DOA per eBay policy guarantee.
Intel Xeon E-1220 socket 1155 = $109 with free shipping or best offer.
He has only sold one, out of ten availible, with less than 24hrs. before the auction ends.
He might take an offer of $95.
A word of caution however, your offer may be accepted instantly and is binding per eBay policy.

I wish I saw this a few months ago when you posted it. I am still searching for a E3 1155 socket. If anyone is selling one PM me.

traderjay

Explorer
The CPU used in my FreeNAS server below is used and super cheap - only USD$150
Even the motherboard is working pull from a server for only $129.

• FreeNAS Server
    • CPU: Intel XEON E3 1265L V3
    • Motherboard: Supermicro X10SAE
    • RAM: 16 GB DDR3 with ECC
    • Storage Pool 1: 6 X 3TB HGST 7K4000 Ultrastar in RAIDZ2
    • Storage Pool 2 Connected to 9212-4i4e : 3 X 3TB Seagate Ultrastar in RAIDZ1
Its relatively risk free when buying used computer parts from a reputable north-american seller on Ebay. My HDDs came from an israeli seller and they were delivered to me in 3 days with free shipping (I am based in Toronto, Canada) @_@

rockstar0215

Dabbler
The CPU used in my FreeNAS server below is used and super cheap - only USD$150
Even the motherboard is working pull from a server for only $129.

• FreeNAS Server
    • CPU: Intel XEON E3 1265L V3
    • Motherboard: Supermicro X10SAE
    • RAM: 16 GB DDR3 with ECC
    • Storage Pool 1: 6 X 3TB HGST 7K4000 Ultrastar in RAIDZ2
    • Storage Pool 2 Connected to 9212-4i4e : 3 X 3TB Seagate Ultrastar in RAIDZ1
Its relatively risk free when buying used computer parts from a reputable north-american seller on Ebay. My HDDs came from an israeli seller and they were delivered to me in 3 days with free shipping (I am based in Toronto, Canada) @_@

I am looking to score some used 1220 v2 on eBay for $120. Not bad! Only problem is that I am not sure what version BIOS my x9 board is.

tvsjr

Guru
Be very, very careful here. I've bought used CPUs and haven't had a problem, but ensure that you're not getting an "engineering sample". Some of these are fine, some aren't... some may have more exotic features disabled, may not be compatible with a production BIOS or motherboard. Learn to recognize the signs... look for "ES" in the description, a marking of "CONFIDENTIAL" on top of the chip, etc.

ChriZ

Patron
And generally, the most trustworthy CPUs to buy used are Xeons. And that's because in general Xeons dislike overclocking, so a used Xeon will, most likely, be less abused, than, e.g. an i7.

Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
We've definitely bought used CPU's, but prefer new when possible. Buying from a reputable source, such as a place that appears to be parts-ing out old gear, rather than some guy who has an eBay feedback rating of (22) and is also selling used six month old high end video cards and old car parts, is a good strategy for success. As others have noted, try to avoid engineering samples.

Status
Not open for further replies.