Issues with file operations or why is vi slower than dd?

r2p2

Cadet
I posted my question originally here here but was politely redirected. The following text is copied from the original.

I have a FreeNAS Mini running with a jail for Nextcloud. While moving my files from Dropbox to the Nextcloud instance, I realized that there are many fastcgi timeouts happening.
In order to investigate the cause, I observed a strange behavior which I don't really understand but my hope is that my Nextcloud synchronization problem will be fixed if I fix that behavior...

So what am I talking about?

If i connect to my FreeNAS via SSH and try to quit a vi instance with saving a file ( :wq), than it takes about 3 - 4 seconds for vi to quit. That's already way to long for my taste. Especially if the file is empty.
But when I join the Nextcloud jail ( iocage exec nextcloud sh) and do the same there, vi needs not less than 9 seconds.

When writing a file with dd is super fast in comparison. Both inside and outside the jail.

Code:
# dd if=/dev/zero of=data.dat bs=1k count=1
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
1024 bytes transferred in 0.000075 secs (13688559 bytes/sec)

I cannot make any sense of these differences and how I can speedup those simple non-dd file operations.

Thanks in advance for any hints.

r2p2

Cadet
Not yet. This week I am planning to test file upload of many small und one big file but I am still in the process of investigating how I see valuable stats which show at which point the potential bottleneck lies.